4716 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: yet another VMS client gone

Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Sorry to hear.

I was part of a the same wave. Started with PDPs, moved to VAX and Alphaservers, at one point supporting 84 customer locations on VMS. Used to be 40 percent of the real estate agents in the U.S. used VMS servers, probably without knowing what the back end was. It just worked. After several mergers, the latest management team announced a mass migration to an alternate platform. Ten years later they still have a handful of VMS customers, but nowhere near the numbers. And I moved on to other challenges.
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Sorry to hear.
It happened to me too; customers prefer windoze platform.
Now I'm partially working with OpenVMS.

Antonio
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

There is life outside the ever-shrinking OpenVMS universe !!

Open your mind, have no fear and you can have fun, too!!
Richard J Maher
Trusted Contributor

Hi Wim,

> I worked mainly in COBOL on HP*(84-97).

VMS (mainly) COBOL 85-07. (4 countries and lost count of industries) I wish I could meet up and cry into our beers about what we have to code to get by. I now earn in a week what used to take me about 8 hrs :-(

> There is just no (stable) job left on VMS
> in Belgium.

You haven't had a govt there in over 12 months and you want stability? Be like the Greeks, retire at 50 on full pension and make the Germans pay. Or like the Irish and only charge 12% Co tax and make the Germans pay.

Me, I'm happy to go back to Munich anytime for a VMS contract (and make the Germans pay :-)

> The good news for the VMS community: 1
> person less on the VMS job market.

Our loss.

Cheers Richard
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Richard,

>>>
Be like the Greeks, retire at 50 on full pension and make the Germans pay.
<<<

I wish that would be all of it.
Per capita the Dutch pay even more, and there is heavy planning (as well as heavy resistance!) to RAISE retirement to 67 years, so our pensions can PAY the Greek ( and Portugese, and Irish, and Italianand Spanish; ie PIIGS )

But at least, you still HAVE a job. I am still looking.

Nevertheless, I would like to share a beer (Duvel for Wim, Weizenbier for us).

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.