4741 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 4.0F

SOLVED
Go to solution

4.0F

Hello Managers,
We all know this is not a supported OS version,but we are currently encountering a small issue. A while back there was a module for the kernel to allow users with certain number of UIDs to be able to login. Is this module still available somewhere.

Thanks in Advance!

David
8 REPLIES 8
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Tru64 UNIX V4.0F (and V4.0G) are still supported IFF you have an additional Prior Version with Sustaining engineering (PVS) contract with HP services.

Can you be more specific about this "module"? It doesn't ring any bells with me...

Yes, we do have that support. However, the module I was referring is related to users that have a specific UID and can not log on to a server that runs under 4.0F

David
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

I've been looking around, but there are just too many possibilities with the three letter combination "uid" or the word "login" in them.

So unless you remember something more specific, then I can't help. Perhaps Ann has an idea?

Ok, the problem is that we have a few users who required a longer than 8 characters UID and some users that do not.
Well, the users that have an UID longer than 8 are having problems while loging to the servers. I remember something like that was not being able to be done with 4.0F

But can remember how it gets fixed.

David
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Oh, okay. So you're actually talking about the user's login name, not the uid (see "man 4 passwd")?

Support for longer login names started in V5.0 as part of the scalability enhancements. I'm not sure which release (if any) supports using longer login names. Look for information around the generic:login_name_max kernel parameter (see "man sys_attrs_generic").

I don't believe that any of this was ever back ported to the V4 stream.

Greg Yates
Valued Contributor

The last I heard, longer username support was never (and will never) be implemented, although, as Han mentioned, there was some work done to that end... but ceased.

Greg
Stuart Fuller_2
Valued Contributor
Solution

Is the question: how does one enable 32-bit UIDs on a V4.0F system? If so, run "dxkerneltuner", double-click on the "proc" subsystem. Locate the "enable_extended_uids" parameter and change it from "0" to "1" in the "boot time values" area. Apply it, save it and reboot.

Thank you Stuart, that is exactly the parameter we were looking for.

David