Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AS500 Tru64 5.1B support?

Paul Heller
Occasional Advisor

AS500 Tru64 5.1B support?

Am trying to install the 5.1B-3 on some older AS500s. The alphas have enough memory and disk space. According to OS FAQs, 5.1B-3 supports this hardware. However, we experience several failures during the install. Doing some checks, according to the Firmware FAQ, the V6.3 CD is the minimum firmware rev supported for 5.1B - but the AS500 last CD version was V5.7 with an internal revision of V7_2-2 (patch web site is incorrect; it lists V7_2-1 as last release in March). Why would AS500 be listed as supported if firmware for it is not? Has anyone tried this with any success? V5.1A appears to work but I would like the AS500 to match our latest version running on our DS15.
Thanks.
2 REPLIES
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: AS500 Tru64 5.1B support?

> [...] several failures [...]

Are you offering any clues as to the nature
of these failures?

According to "dupatch -track -type
patch_level" I seem to have "Patch Kit 5:
T64V51BB26AS0005-20050502 OSF540" installed
on my AlphaStation 200 4/233, and its
firmware hasn't seen an update for quite a
while, either.

PK5 is V5.1B-3, isn't it? If there's a
command which reports the marketing version
number, it's a mystery to me.
Paul Heller
Occasional Advisor

Re: AS500 Tru64 5.1B support?

Out of 4 AS500s that were tried, 3 had "SCSI CAM errors" and/or memory checks - that is, hardware issues, and apparently were unrecoverable (and unseen in unattend loads). The fourth had a video card, that for some reason, works under 5.0A but decided to fail during the upgrade to 5.1B and only support lower res VGA.
So, unsupported as it may be, I do have 5.1B running on the AS500.