3662 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Accessesing DEC 700 terminal servers

Paul_564
Occasional Advisor

Accessesing DEC 700 terminal servers

Hi
Having a perplexing problem, i have 30 terminal servers and currently i can only access 2 of them via telnet. They are all functionioning correctly as they all have LAT devices attached and all working. Its reading the host file ok and comes up with the trying {ip addr)...... and just doesnt connect. When im on either of the 2 terminal servers i can telnet into i can then successfully ping EVERY other terminal server.

Im thinking that it might be a blocked port ?? but im baffled any help would be great

thanks
paul
5 REPLIES 5
Al Licause
Trusted Contributor

Re: Accessesing DEC 700 terminal servers

A couple of things to consider.....do you have a default gateway configured on the terminal servers or are all systems/servers in the same network ?

Is tcp/ip configured correctly on the terminal servers....i.e. correct ip address, netmask and broadcast address ?

Do you have telnet enabled on the 700's ?
Do you have telnet listeners enabled on them ?

Check these and if no problems with the above,
lets see what else might be causing the problem.
Paul_564
Occasional Advisor

Hi Al thanks for reply

servers on same network
we use LAT not TCPIP
can telnet into a couple of terminal servers ? bout 2 out of 30.

thought it might be subnet related but not, its like the port is blocked or they are not being released. iS there any way i can check to see if ports are still blocked

thanks
Paul
Paul_564
Occasional Advisor

ok got access to one and they are on the wrong subnet

doxs say to change subnet its

CHANGE INTERNET SUBNET MASK [NEW SUBNET]

but told that server address is already set (meaning IP i assume) so how do i change the subnet without having to blank out the IP address ??

SET and DEFINE commands solicite the same response

ta all
Al Licause
Trusted Contributor

Paul

It's been a while since I dealt with 700's but I believe you may have to blank out the ip address before you can define a new one.

I'm a little confused....you said you use LAT but also telnet. Telnet is an tcp/ip application.....llogin would be the LAT equivalent....or connect from the server.

Just recall that LAT cannot be routed...only bridged....so make sure that if you are trying to pass LAT, your brouters are not blocking it.

Basically if the servers can see the host information (>show host or show service), then it should be seeing the LAT announcements and should be reachable to/from the hosts. You may need to put sniffers at either send and look for the LAT traffic or in the case of ip, look for those packets.

Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

LAT != IP

so please use llogin instead of telnet to access the terminalservers.

a simple "apropos lat" will give you a clue about setup and commands
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }