Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AdvfsIORetryControl Sysconfig paremeter

SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

AdvfsIORetryControl Sysconfig paremeter

Hi All,

Does anyone know the specifics on this sysconfig parameter for AdvFS. I understand that a value of 0-9 can be assigned to this parameter, where 0=no retries and 1-9 means the number of retries.
We recently noticed that during an array controller software upgrade (ACS on a HSG80 based storage array)in an online fashion - no host downtime - upgrade carried on one controller at a time -> the only Tru64 Unix cluster containing two members (running Tru64 Unix V5.1B-PK4) experienced a few I/O errors and domain panics on several Advfs domains. In the end, the panics seemed to have caused a crash on both members.

The console log message indicated that the current value of "AdvfsIORetryControl" paramter on the system is set to 0 - no retries and that had it been set to a higher value the I/O operation would have succeeded.

I just wish to gather some specifics on this paramter, what do the values 1-9 actually mean ,i.e if the value is set to 5 does it mean Advfs will retry an I/O in the event of it not succeeding in the first attempt 5 times at a time interval of ?? seconds/minutes??

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: AdvfsIORetryControl Sysconfig paremeter

SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Uwe,

Thanks for the link.

Although it provided an extra piece of information that I wasn't aware of, i.e. "HP recommends setting the value of this parameter to 1" - the information presented in this guide is less than sufficient to actually figure out what is the time interval between each I/O Retry interval for particular values of this parameters - is it in minutes/seconds?

Also, although I don't know the details on this parameter as yet, I find it a little strange that the default value of this parameter is set to 0.

Anyway, I have logged a call with HP - hope its not months before I get to speak with someone who knows the specifics of the topic.

Have you had any similar experience with Rolling Upgrade of ACS?

Regards,
Saket.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Hello Saket,

I did a rolling upgrade, but the servers were down during the task - everything went fine afterwards. If I recall correctly (it's 1+ year ago) my colleague was doing maintenance to the servers (we try to overlap our activities).