New Discussion юеВ

Alpha 4100 doesn't see disks anymore

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Alpha 4100 doesn't see disks anymore

Hi,

I have a problem with a A4100, which panicked and after reboot doesn't see disks anymore. See decevent attachment. Any ideas?

thanks,

Michael
19 REPLIES 19
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: Alpha 4100 doesn't see disks anymore

Hi,

I can't believe it. System unavailable, backspace and attachment gone.

Michael
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

this is only a busreset message. have you checked cabling internal and external?
If the disks are connected on the internal controller, check console parameters for termination.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Pedro Albuquerque
Frequent Advisor

Hello.
Can you see the disks or the SCSI controller where those disks are attached in SRM console?
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

I'm with Pedro, first make sure that the devices and adapters are properly visible at the console level. You know... show conf, show dev. A loose scsi cable, poorly seated drive coudl easily explain the panic and subsequent disk loss. If the disks are not visible at the console, I would normally re-seat everything. Unplug scsi cables, re-plug. Powerdown switches/controller - restart. Talk to the controller, ask it whether it still sees everything there is supposed to be. If you are not making progress then maybe you can describe us the console status, the adapters best you know, the cabling (length?!), the drives.
[You would not have an [SE] scsi cable that is a little over length, or over/under terminated and it 'happened' to work this long?
Good luck,
Hein.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the problem turned out to be a faulty disk, which blocked the bus. We replaced it, and then all the disks got a new disk device. I have renamed the disks but the disk group is gone. How can I restore that? Unfortunately no volsave made. Can I restore from tape and if, what do I need?

Thanks for any advice,

Michael
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

if this is a mirrored lsm volume there should be no problem using the standard recovery procedure posted here in the forum several times.

If it is a striped volume the next step is to bring back the replaced disk into the current lsm configuration, recreating the advfs domain and restore from backup.

Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Ralf,

the disk group consisted of 3x2 mirrored disks, one of them with two subdisks. Plase point me to the thread with the solution. I must find a solution soon and so far I have only managed to recreate the disk group, but the volrecover does not give any result or error. Attached is the volprint of the disk group.

thanks,

Michael
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

finally I got LSM up and running again. I found out, that syscheck also creates a lsm configuration backup. It seem though, that I killed before the data with voldg init. Is my assumption correct?

thanks for all advice,

Michael
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Hi Michael,

you have not attached any file. If you need an urgent solution why not open a call within the support center instead of still waiting for an reply in this forum?