Alpha DS15 Tru64 5.1B " NHD7 " CD

Techtricks
Advisor

Alpha DS15 Tru64 5.1B " NHD7 " CD

Hi,

Can any one guide me how to create the bootable
cd for NHD7 to install Tru64 5.1B OS on Alpha
DS 15 server.

I got the patch from ITRC but it is not a bootable image, even i tried burning the same but of no use.

Thanks and regards

Nagaraju
19 REPLIES 19
Eric van Dijken
Trusted Contributor

Re: Alpha DS15 Tru64 5.1B " NHD7 " CD

First time install as normal, with all the cd swaps. When your install is 100% completed you will have a "working" DS15 kernel.

Create a new 5.1B Install cdrom and add this saved DS15 kernel to it, with a name easy to remember name, like: "ds15vmunix"

Start the installation with ">>> boot -file ds15vmunix dqa0"

During installation the install process will try to generate a new kernel (which will not work on the DS15, until NHD7 is installed)

Until you install NHD7 you will have to copy the "ds15vmunix" from your install cd onto your installation disk (dsk0) than reboot again with the "ds15vmunix" from your installation disk. And the installation process will continue.

Its not pretty, but beats the 20+ cd swaps normally needed.

Watch, Think and Tinker.
Techtricks
Advisor

Hi,

I am facing problem in the initial stage itself, i have a DS15 new system along with
VMS 7.3-2 ver.

If i want to start installation of TRU64
5.1B os on DS15, without NHD7 Cd, installation process is dumping continoulsy,
Hence i am trying to create NHD7 CD so that i can start.

Guide me how do i solve this issue.

Thanks and regards

Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

N,

Insert the CD you burned into a PC CDdrive, and you will find on there a pdf file with detailed installation instructions.

__ Johan.

_JB_
Eric van Dijken
Trusted Contributor

The can get the NHD7 ISO file from: http://www4.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/patchDocDisplay.do?admit=-938907319+1110957248103+28353475&patchId=NHD7
Or you could order the CD from HP (if you are unable to create an CD)

The CD will also contain the "Tru64 UNIX New Hardware Delivery,
Release Notes and Installation Instructions"
(in i think .pdf format)

When you have the NHD7 cd and the 5.1B install cd. You can start the installation with:
>>> boot -fl fa -fi "GENERIC" dqa0
But read the document mention above first!

Watch, Think and Tinker.
Eric van Dijken
Trusted Contributor

(after a re-read of your problem)

Are you saying that you are unable to create the NHD7 CD, as you don't have access to a UNIX system. The NHD7 software comes in the form of a tar file.
And the only UNIX system you have, is the DS15 which will not work until you have the NHD7 cdrom (catch-22)

But i am sure that there are other ways to create the cd, maybe even on VMS. Guess you would need a GNU tar (to unpack) and a MKISOFS (to create the ISO) for that.

Or you could just order the NHD7 cd from HP.
(Or find someone that is willing to put the ISO online for you, not sure if thats allowed by HP)
Watch, Think and Tinker.
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Since the system came with VMS I suppose bootdef_dev is pointing to the disk with VMS.

Please try setting "bootdef_dev" to a null string and then boot the Tru64 V5.1B distribution CD. If you do not have a V5.1B
CD then do not bother continuing with the NHD7.

__ Johan.

_JB_
Eric van Dijken
Trusted Contributor

Johan,

I never succeeded booting a DS15 into Unix (Original 5.1B build 2650 CD) without a kernel panic, even before the installer started.

But your mileage may vary.

Eric.
Watch, Think and Tinker.
Techtricks
Advisor

Dear Friends,

I have extracted the .tar file from other
unix system then i copied to windows system, to burn the cd, but the cd created with NHD7 is not in ISO format, i just copied the folder extracted from .tar file, i think this is not going to help me to boot the system, unless i have ISO image file.

Can u suggest me how to create ISO image or is there any other option i can install
TRU64 5.1B with out NHD7 media, so that i can install NHD7 after installing TRU64 5.1B.

Thanks and regards

Nagaraju s
Eric van Dijken
Trusted Contributor

If you boot the original Tru5.1B cdrom set and have read chapter 4.2.2.1 from the NHD7 instruction manual. You can start the installation with the following command (using the original 5.1B cdrom set):

>>> boot -fl fa -fi "GENERIC" dqa0

During installation a new kernel will be generated (after 20+ cdrom swaps between the orginal set and the NHD7 cdrom)

But chapter 4.2.2.1 will explain it all, read it and all will be (hopefully) clear to you.

Watch, Think and Tinker.