5367 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BSD printing

BFCsaus
Occasional Advisor

BSD printing

Hi,

Hopefully someone will be able to assist in this simple but annoying printer..

Basically, the Oracle DBA's need to send some PCL output to a printer which instead of printing to a physical networked or local printer needs to be outputted to the same file name as its input to a directory already created by myself which can then be picked up via SAMBA to an NT directory.

Unfortunately, I dont know the name of the oracle report and am having difficulty directing the Oracle created report to a directory... ie. oracle creates somereport.pcl which I need to send via lpd to /directory/somereport.pcl, sounds easy but im struggling!!...

Ive tried using stdin, stdout, redirection, tee etc etc to no avail...

OS is TRU64 V4.0F

Any assistance would be appreciated as im sure someone must have done this before...

Thanks...
9 REPLIES 9
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Hello Steven
I would like to help but I do not understand the question.
Can you explain clearly with more details?
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
BFCsaus
Occasional Advisor

Hi Vladimir,

Oracle will submit a PCL file/report to a predefined printer (which I will hopefully configure soon), the printer must not print the file as usual to a physical printer but to a directory where it can be viewed and copied to another server behind a firewall.

I dont know the name of the oracle submitted file/report so the filename must be sent to the directory as the same filename oracle initially submitted.

oracle.rpt -> lpr -> //oracle.rpt

Although oracle.rpt should be a variable as I dont know the name of the filename.

Ive been playing around with allocating a variable to STDIN and passing to STDOUT in the if and of parameters in /etc/printcap but hit a brick wall...

So basically STDIN to lpd must be the same as STDOUT to the directory...

Hopefully this explains what im trying to achieve, sounds simple but its caused me no end of hassle...

For info, ive downloaded CUPS but am unable to comlipe due to numerous errors whichi im looking at currently...

Thanks again...

Steve...
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

if you configure a printer and let this be the default printer oracle uses (lp), then you know the spool-directory of this printer? (default /usr/spool, but you can configure it at creating the printqueue).
so all the pcl-files are in this directory.
if this is the only report that comes out of oracle then you're done. you pause the printqueue so lpd-daemon will not print it and pick up the file. after this you can delete the lpd entry.
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Idea from Pieter is OK.
CUPS would be also a very goog idea, but not sure it can be compiled on old v4.0F.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
BFCsaus
Occasional Advisor

Hi Pieter / Vladimir,

Your correct CUPS will not compile on Tru64 V4.0, ive now installed it on Solaris (with Tea4cups) and plan to direct the print from Tru64 to Solaris and hope that works...

Ive actually tried this and keep getting 'waiting for to come online' ... I can 'ping' the Solaris server but lpc shows the msg - any ideas??

Still can't believe its not a simple job to spool a report directly to a specific directory but thats life I suppose...

Thanks again...

Steve...
Sri_10
Occasional Advisor

Hi:

The following entry should work as a good example for remote printer setup on Tru64 4.0x:

An Example Remote printer's printcap entry:

lp1|1|hpps:\
:lf=/usr/adm/lp1err:\
:lp=:\
:rm=sunklr:\
:rp=TEXT:\
:sd=/usr/spool/lpd1:

NOTE: The rm entry sunklr is listed in the /etc/hosts file with corresponding IP address. Also, the spooling directory /usr/spool/lpd1 should have ownership as follows.

drwxr-xr-x 2 daemon daemon 512 Aug 21 15:34 lpd1

May be this will help set-up your printer ..
BFCsaus
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for that, ive decided to simply run a continuous 'while' loop which checks the queue, picks up the jobname and data from cfA and dfA and output it to a directory of my choice...

Very dirty but it works so ill use that but still intend to send the output to Solaris so I can use CUPS..

Thanks for the assistance and suggestions, much appreciated...

Steve...
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Steve,

> I've actually tried this and keep
> getting 'waiting for to
> come online' ... I can 'ping' the Solaris
> server but lpc shows the msg - any ideas??

This is usually the result of failed hostname resolution between the two systems...

If you look at the lpr log files, you will find some clues. Thes are in /var/adm/syslog.dated//lpr.log

Cheers,

Rob
BFCsaus
Occasional Advisor

As previously commented, I intend to write a simple while loop and pick the jobs up from the spool queue manually..

Thanks again...

Steve..