Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot Tru64 from bootable tape fails

Mikel_9
Occasional Contributor

Boot Tru64 from bootable tape fails

Hi all,
I have an AlphaServer DS25 running Tru64 V5.1 B. Because Unix freezes while loading, I want to boot it from another media rother that HDD to correct any popssible error. So I create a bootable tape from another machine running Tru64 and when I issue the command:

>>>boot dva0 <-|

the system display the message:
(boot failed from dva0.0.0.1000.0.)

I don't know why it does not boot from the tape. Have I to issue some more parameters?
Anyway, is there any possibility to create a bootable CD? So that I may have just a little kernel and perform mounting of some filesystems?

Thank you.
5 REPLIES
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: Boot Tru64 from bootable tape fails

Hi,

you could boot from the installation disk and abort the installation. You will then have a shell and can mount selected file systems.

greetings,

Michael
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

dva0
Is it really a tape device?
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

As far i can remember, dva0 is a floppy drive, the take device should be mk* device.

You said "freezes while loading". You can try boot the generic kernel or in single user to troubleshoot the problem.

boot -fi genvmunix

boot -fl s

Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

I would first try to boot sinfle user mode.
>>>boot -flag 0 (or boot -flag s)
Then I would do
# mount -a
to mount all file systems.
Then I would manually execute scripts in /sbin/rc3.d one by one.
If single user boot is not possible, I would try >>> boot -file genvmunix
Boot tape made on another machine may not boot on your machine.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Mikel_9
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your replies.
In fact, I solved this problem by booting from installation CD and using the shell that was supplied there.

Thank you.
Mikel.