New Discussion юеВ

Break "root" password

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pando
Regular Advisor

Break "root" password

Dear Gurus,

Is it possible to change the root password without exiting in multi-user mode in Tru64 environment?
In HP-UX tcb environment, this can be done by editing the root file. Is there also such file in Tru64 that i can edit so that i dont have to boot to single user environment? Thanks!
What command/s should i use?
5 REPLIES 5
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Re: Break "root" password

I am not sure I understand the requirement.

If you want to change the root's passwd, you could just use the 'passwd' command (if you are currently logged in as root).

If you have forgotten root's passwd and cannot login to the system as root, then, logging to single-user mode is the only option.
Pando
Regular Advisor

Hi BL,

What i want to do is change root password without going thru the single user mode in Tru64.Because i have forgotten the root password and whenever i execute passwd, it prompted me for the old password (which i have forgotten) :-(

In HP-UX, using tcb (trusted conputing base?), i can edit the /tcb/files/auth/r/root file and modify the root password to "". Executing passwd after editing the file will not prompt me for the old password.

My question is, in tru64, do they have the same feature as the tcb wherein i will just edit the file and execute passwd so that it will not promptme for the old password.
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Ok, now I get it.

I am afraid there is nothing like that in Tru64 UNIX. You have to boot to single-user mode to change the root passwd.
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you are already logged in to root you can do something similar to the HP-UX. If you are running BASE security you can use vipw to edit the passwd file and remove the root password. If you are running Enhanced Security, you can use edauth to edit the root account and remove the entire u_pwd entry (including the encrypted password). Then use the passwd command to reset the password and just hit when it asks you for the old password. See the man pages for vipw, edauth, and prpasswd.

Ann
Pando
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the answers!