Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a ascii text file be used as the input messages for "logger -b"

klbblk
Advisor

Can a ascii text file be used as the input messages for "logger -b"

I do know that "logger -b" can accept line messages entry , but for a text inputfile can it also support !?
3 REPLIES
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Re: Can a ascii text file be used as the input messages for "logger -b"

Will 'logger -f' help you? Did you check out the examples in the man page?
Rani sawade
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
Would following execution help?
logger -b `cat input_file`

the whole input file would go as message.

-Rani
klbblk
Advisor

Unfortunately I have tested all the above methods, but it seemed to be failed! Only the second methoh can log the textfile context into binary.errlog, but then after I use the command of `wsea n ana out err1.log`, the context of err1.log file is empty!!
Now how can I resolve the problem that I want to either recover or restructure this binary.errlog ( because I have missed to lose/rm the original binary.errlog, and I still have the acsii logfile that was output from that original binary.errlog via wsea utility before days)