Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't login after using NIS password aging

SOLVED
Go to solution
Simon Page_1
Frequent Advisor

Can't login after using NIS password aging

Hi all

If I start password aging on my HP-UX 11.00 NIS server, I can't login to OSF1 V5.1 - I get 'login incorrect'. Remove the password aging and logins are ok again!

Is there something I need to do on the OSF1 machines?

Regards
Simon Page
6 REPLIES
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Can't login after using NIS password aging

The password aging you are using is apparently an HP-UX specific enhancement to the passwd map. Tru64 UNIX does not support this HP-UX specific field. Tru64 UNIX supports password aging through it's Enhanced Security functionality which is not supported by HP-UX.
Simon Page_1
Frequent Advisor

Are you saying that...

Tru64 doesn't recognise the extra chars after the ',' in the second passwd field (e.g. 7/tQ), as being aging rules, and assumes it's part of the user's encrypted password? Hence logins fail.
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

Yes, it assumes that the entire string, including the "," is part of the encrypted password.
Simon Page_1
Frequent Advisor

Is there any way I can force a user to change his password at next login without using Enhanced Security?
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

Sure, but not using the user account commands provided with the system. For example, you could do some clever shell scripting in the system-wide login scripts for the various shells.
Simon Page_1
Frequent Advisor

Ann, thanks for all your help. Simon.