Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collect -p problem

Collect -p problem

When I use collect -p file1 -p file2 -f newfile to combine .cgz files, collgui won't open them. Says it can't read the file.
6 REPLIES
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Re: Collect -p problem

Yes, I have been wishing for some time now that our engineering would cure that problem too... but it does not seem to be very high on their prioriy list.

JB.

_JB_
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

1) Are you able to playback the new file with collect?
2) When using "-p" and "-f", the file that was created first should be passed first.
ex:
a) collect -p file1 -p file2 -f new => collgui will open.
b) collect -p file2 -p file1 -f new => collgui will not open.

This is because, the timestamp in records of the file will not be in sequence.

rgds,
blv

That helped. I did again and made sure that the input files were in chronological order and now I can open the output file. I am still getting the error

Time: Set: Error in time format

But it is working better.
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Ok...this is a known problem...

...setting the TZ environment variable to EST5EDT will solve the problem, for eg.
if the shell being used is ksh:
# export TZ=EST5EDT
should allow the files to be opened by collgui.

I spoke too soon. It worked once, butnow is doing the same thing. Here is the output of an env when logged in as root. I set the TZ variable in the root .profile. Was that the wrong place?

# env
DISPLAY=10.206.201.57:0.0
GWSOURCE=telnet
HOME=/
LOGNAME=root
PATH=/temp/jre131/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/lo
cal
SHELL=/bin/sh
TERM=vt300
TZ=EST5EDT
USER=root
VISUAL=emacs

Given up on collgui.