New Discussion юеВ

Command to check user locked

SOLVED
Go to solution
SANJAY MUNDHRA
HPE Pro

Command to check user locked

Hello,

Is there any command to check user's locked, am nt able to use dxaccounts due to security restrcitions.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Sanjay
Cheers,
Sanjay Mundhra
I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

4 REPLIES 4
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Command to check user locked

I think the 'password' field in the passwd file [command: vipw] will contain either a "*" or "Nologin" for such users. Please check.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If you're using Enhanced Security, then you should be able to use edauth to look for the u_lock attribute for the user.

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51B_HTML/MAN/MAN8/0142____.HTM

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Martin Moore
HPE Pro

Let me also point out that in Enhanced Security, there is a difference between "locked" and "disabled". "Locked" means that the administrator has explicitly locked out the account, and this is indicated by the presence of the u_lock field (without a trailing "@" character) in the edauth output for that user.

"Disabled" means that the system won't let a user log in; they get the message "Account is disabled, see account administrator" or similar. An administrative lock is only one of several possible causes for an account to be disabled. Other causes include too many consecutive login failures, too long since the last login, password lifetime exceeded, and the user being marked as on vacation in the authentication database. (Does anyone actually use the vacation feature?)

To determine which of these is the problem, it's necessary to see the edauth output. If you're running Enhanced Security, you can post the output of "edauth -g username" here. (If you're worried about sharing encrypted passwords, you can X out the u_pwd and u_pwdict fields.)

Martin
I work for HPE
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HPE products is just a click away HPE Support Center
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

SANJAY MUNDHRA
HPE Pro

Dear Ventakesh, Rob and Martin,

Thanks for the response, the system was suing C2 so the edauth commands helped a lot.

Wishing you all a Properous and Joyous 2009

Cheers,
Sanjay
Cheers,
Sanjay Mundhra
I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo