New Discussion юеВ

Command to install and uninstall programs

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bruno Vilardo
Regular Advisor

Command to install and uninstall programs

Hello all,

I have been serching the command to install and uninstall programs .

Could anyone tell the right command

Thanks

Bruno
6 REPLIES 6
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Command to install and uninstall programs

The official utility to install software kits on Tru64 as supplied by DEC/CPQ/now-HP is called setld.

/usr/sbin/setld -l /path/to/kit/dir/ ###to install

/usr/sbin/setld -d KITNAME ###to de-install

On the freeware CD, you can find the installation utility from the RH-Linux world called rpm.

Other 3th party kits are just tar archives, to be installed via an install.sh script after untarring.

Rgds,
Johan.

_JB_
Bruno Vilardo
Regular Advisor

Hey Johan,

I need to uninstall sendmail.

So i am going to use setld sendmail ?

Thanks a lot for the information

Bruno
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

No Bruno, you will have to stop the sendmail daemon and prevent it from starting again at the next reboot.

/sbin/init.d/sendmail stop
cd /sbin/rc3.d
mv S40sendmail no_S40sendmail

You cannot selectively deinstall sendmail with setld from the system-disk because its a tiny part of the larger setld kit called OSFBASExxx !!

To further inhibit the use of sendmail you could rename the /usr/sbin/sendmail ,smtpd and mailq executables to no_sendmail, no_smtpd and no_mailq plus remove tcp port 25 from /etc/services. (sendmail, mailq and smtpd are hard links to the same inode)
Such modifications to the base software will however cause headaches for utilities like dupatch.

Rgds,
Johan.

_JB_
Bruno Vilardo
Regular Advisor

Hi Johan,

To tell you the truth ,
When i try to stop de sendmail daemon with :
sendmail stop , it doesn├В┬┤t stop , the cursor just blank and blank and doesnt stop the sendmail.
For this reason i want to uninstall it and then install it again. because sendmail wasn├В┬┤t work at all and i need to make it run.

BUt thanks fot all the info....

Br
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Bruno,

If you did not specify /sbin/init.d/ as the path to sendmail, all what you did with the command "sendmail stop", is to start a NEW /usr/sbin/sendmail with the argument stop. You will have to "kill -9" those processes.

JB.

_JB_
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Bruno,

^C or ^D might do too. Otherwise Johan is right. Maybe sendmail waits for you to complete a mail to send.

greetings,

Michael