New Discussion юеВ

Corrupt /etc/sysconfigtab after volencap, volreconfig

SOLVED
Go to solution
Orjan Petersson
Frequent Advisor

Corrupt /etc/sysconfigtab after volencap, volreconfig

Hi,
We have a DS10 running 5.1B PK5 with dsk0 containing root_domain, swap, usr_domain, and one additional domain.
I used volencap, volreconfig, and volrootmir to mirror dsk0 onto a spare, previously unused, disk of the same type.
Everything went fine except that /etc/sysconfigtab got corrupted (probably during the volreconfig phase). The first part got replaced by
"Core". The remaining part contained 1 modification (indicating that the swapdevice is now an lsm volume) and 1 addition:

lsm:
lsm_rootdev_is_volume = 1

The machine seemed to work just fine even with the corrupted file but I copied in the missing stuff from a backup copy of the file just to be safe.

My question (finally): Are there any other modifications than the ones described above that must be done to /etc/sysconfigtab?

The enclosed file is /etc/sysconfig after adding the missing part.
4 REPLIES 4
Phillip Brown
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: Corrupt /etc/sysconfigtab after volencap, volreconfig

That's it. Well, that and your swapdevice, which is properly set as well.

One thing: the stanza's you have for per:, aha_chim: and p3g: aren't settable kernel attributes. Those items should be in the PCI Options section above the kernel attributes section.

Regards,

Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Orjan,

/etc/sysconfig corruption occures in many situations, So I would suggest to compare the new /etc/sysconfig with nbackup copy and make necessary changes for the differences.

Archunan
Regards
Archie
Orjan Petersson
Frequent Advisor

Archunan,

> So I would suggest to compare the new
> /etc/sysconfig with nbackup copy and
> make necessary changes for the differences.

That's what I did (see original post) but the problem is that I can't see if volencap/volreconfig had tried to change something in the missing part of the corrupt file, hence my question. Philip already answered, and I also found out that the best practice document "Using LSM to Create Mirrored Volumes for Boot
Disk Partitions" covers this kind of problem quite well. (Best practice documents are at
http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/best_practices/ )
Thanks anyway.
Orjan Petersson
Frequent Advisor

Question answered. Thanks!