108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Creating a user account with system wide privileges

SOLVED
Go to solution
Danesh Qureshi
Regular Advisor

Creating a user account with system wide privileges

I need to create a user account with system wide privileges on Tru64 Unix V5.1B.

How do I create an account with system wide privilges which has /bin/sh as its default shell.

Also how do I make the account is in the sys group?

Basically, I need the user account to run all privilege commands which normally only root has access to.

For example I need to be able to run the following privilege root commands
netstat,mount,ifconfig,etc,etc.

Can anyone advise me how to create such a user account.
4 REPLIES 4
Martin Moore
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Creating a user account with system wide privileges

If you want to give a user the same priveleges as root, you can run 'sysman dopconfig' and give the user the SuperUsers privilege. Another alternative is to give the user the root password, and put them in the system group so that they can su to root.

To add a user to the system group, just make sure that either its primary gid is system (which is gid 1), or that the user is also a member of the system group as specified in /etc/group.

Martin
I work for HPE
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HPE products is just a click away HPE Support Center
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Danesh Qureshi
Regular Advisor

Hello Martin,

I'm aware you can add the user to the system group and then su - to root.

But idealy I would like a non root user account to run all privilege commands which root would allow me to run.

If there is a way to configure my user account then how can I set it up?

Martin Moore
HPE Pro

Danesh,

Yes - I answered that in the first paragraph of my previous response. :)

You can use dop (Division of Privilege) to assign privileges to non-root users. One of the pre-defined privilege classes is SuperUser, which allows the user to do anything root can. Or you can assign only specific privileges if you prefer, such as adding accounts, running backups, etc. You can also add your own custom privileges in addition to what the system has pre-defined, but this is a little trickier.

See man dop(8) for more details, but the short answer for your particular question is to run sysman dopconfig and set the user up with SuperUser privilege.

Martin
I work for HPE
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HPE products is just a click away HPE Support Center
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Danesh Qureshi
Regular Advisor

Martin,

Thank you for your help. I have read the man pages on "dop" and i'll try to set it up.

Danesh