1751701 Members
5269 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cron process monitoring

Danesh Qureshi
Regular Advisor

Cron process monitoring

I am looking into a procedure whereby I can monitor the status of cron process.I had a situation cron had "died" and none of scheduled scripts ran in crontab. By the time we realised that cron had died it was too late.

So for example if the cron process was killed by the system due to swap space running out, is there a way to notify (perhaps via email) an administrator straight away that cron is not running anymore and needs to be restarted?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Dan..

PS
My email is d.qureshi@mdx.ac.uk
4 REPLIES 4
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You could install swatch. Swatch is a tool that monitors log files and if a pattern is found, an event is triggered. This event can be restart cron or send a mail.

I never installed it on tru64.

http://swatch.sourceforge.net/
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
AwadheshPandey
Honored Contributor

performance manager is third party software you can install for managing such events. try it.

Awadhesh
It's kind of fun to do the impossible
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

BTW, to use swatch is supposed that in the cron log, a failure message is found.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Shirley I Taylor

Regarding this issue of cron stopping in the first place. We have had this happen 3 times on 2 different servers running Tru64 5.1B-3. Anyone know why cron dies in the first place? We have searched log files for information but find nothing. Also, I don't see any bug reports or patches relating to this issue. Thanks,
Shirley