Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cursor size

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alice Daniel
Frequent Advisor

Cursor size

How can I modify the size of the cursor on ALPHA ES40s running Tru64 v 4.0f? It would be good to have a different color also
7 REPLIES
Balasubramanian S
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: Cursor size

Hello Daniel, we don't have any tools or resources that help us to changes the color or size of the cursor.

-Bala S
Alice Daniel
Frequent Advisor

thanks for the info
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

That is not correct, if it is X11 related there is a possible way to do that!
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Balasubramanian S
Frequent Advisor

Hello Ralf, in case of X11 we need to modify the font file for the cursor, which is under ./xc/fonts/bdf/misc; we need to rebuild the font file after this modification. Then you will get the cursor in bigger size, I hope this is how we can achieve in X11.

Regards, Bala S
Alice Daniel
Frequent Advisor

On my system, I found the following directory: (ES40, Tru64 v4.0f)
/var/X11/fonts/user/misc, but the only file there was "fonts.dir" which only had an entry of 0 in it.

Would the fonts file in question be part of a standard install, or would it be in the associated products?

Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

why so complicated?

use the freewaretool "xsetroot -cursor" to modify cursor.

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Balasubramanian S
Frequent Advisor

I found this info on the net and thought I would pass it on to you.

bdfresize freeware will help you to resize the bdf format font. Get the cursor.bdf font file from the net and create a magnified cursor font using the bdfresize. After that create a .xinitrc file in your $HOME directory which should have the following statements
xset +fp $HOME/fonts
xsetroot -cursor_name X_cursor

Now restart your xserver and login; now you can see the big mouse cursor in the session.

I havenâ t tried it out personally though.
Bala