Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DS1287 Real Time Clock

yogesh_4
Regular Advisor

DS1287 Real Time Clock

Dear all,
I have got one alpha 1200 server . I have replaced the DS1287 real time clock chip as my server was lagging behind by 3 sec. After repacing the chip, while booting system does not show any message on console ( on blue screen ) but it boot and shows login prompt correctly. After that system works fine . Time also it shows correctly. Can any one guess where is the problem. Why it is not showing console messages.

Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Re: DS1287 Real Time Clock

maybe you have set "console=serial"?
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
yogesh_4
Regular Advisor

Actually system is giving the problem only after replacing the DS1287 Real Time clock chip. Else it works fine and shows console messages with old chip. I have not changed any seeting like "console=serial" or anithing else.
Ronnie Doggart
Frequent Advisor

I would check what the console variable is set to, just in case something got reset, you can use:

consvar -g console

to check
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

checking is easier and requires less than a few seconds - but discussions and "guessing" is a time consuming issue ;-)
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }