New Discussion юеВ

Disk to disk backup of root disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
A.W.R
Frequent Advisor

Disk to disk backup of root disk

Hi,

I want to do a disk to disk backup of my root_domain and usr_domain (dsk0) to a spare drive (dsk5) on my Tru64UNIX v5.1A Alpha system. I can do this using the vdump | vrestore sequence of commands.

If I now shutdown my server, and remove the original drive and replace it with the target drive will I be able to boot the system, or will Tru64 remember the target drive from its original location and assign it the old devie name dsk5. If so any suggestions around this would be appreciated.

If not I could boot of dsk5, but this would have implications for the usr_domain etc. since it is now on a different device and I want to avoid this complexity.

I do not have LSM and my management does not want to buy LSM.

Thanks
Andrew

Thanks
Andrew
3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Disk to disk backup of root disk

Tru64 will maintain the device names and you will have problems to boot. To use your spare disk, you must modify the /etc/fdmns/* links pointing to the spare device, you can do this after your backup process.

You don't need to move the disks, just boot with the spare disk in that case.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Ivan is right.
But you can use bttape to restore system to spare disk if not familiar with advfs and device manager.
See "man bttape".
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

The linkage of /etc/fdmns must be done in the backup disk. That is to change the root linkage to dsk5a in that disk. Same with /usr. If you don't use AdvFS, then you need to modify /etc/fstab file.