Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1754021 Members
7464 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Do I have to delete tape device after firmware update?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Michael,
I totally agree with you that logically deleting devices and adding them back is not necessary. But i have seen problems arising umpteen times with these devices (especially IO and Communication issues) after a firmware upgrade.

I still think this issue is more to do with the backup software (like TSM, Veritas) rather than the OS.

So to make things simple we go ahead and delete the devices from OS and Backup software before upgradng the firmware and then add the devices back. This seems to work without any issues.

Regards
Mobeen
Stuart Green
Frequent Advisor

Michael,

Have performed another firmware update. Recorded the WWID of the device before using

# hwmgr -get attribute -id NN

updated firmware

# hwmgr scan scsi

hwmgr get attribute again command shows the exact same WWID, and still as mentioned above same old revision number of firmware.

Can hwmgr not poll and update itself its associated databases?

I am going to carry on with the routine I am stuck with: delete the same drive from servers then re-add, and in the software also, the issue that bothers me is I have 15 servers times this by 16 drives. A lot of system management me thinks!!

Stuart
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Stuart,
The only consolation you can have adding/deleting drives is.....

don't think you are alone ... there are a lot of others like me....doing the same :))

On a serious note, i took this up with the backup s/w vendors many a times but did not get a logical explanation from them.

I was thinking that only TSM behaves this way, but from your exp, it now looks like many other backup software vendors also seem to have the same issue

enjoy :)

rgds
Mobeen