Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-mail when account is about to expire

SOLVED
Go to solution
Victor Semaska_3
Esteemed Contributor

E-mail when account is about to expire

Greetings,

I've searched the forum but didn't find anything. I would think this to be something somebody would want.

Our DBAs complain that on occasion they try to log onto a server to find their account locked because the password expired. This happens because there are many servers and they often don't log onto a server for long periods of time.

What they want is to have an e-mail sent to them when the password of an account on a server is about to expire. Like a few days notice.

I was wondering if anyone had a script and/or program that would do this. We're running Tru64 V5.1B PK4. We have Enhanced Security enabled.

If there's no such script/program I was thinking of trying to write a script myself. Here's the basic logic. Any thoughts are welcomed.

1) Get the u_succhg for the account using edauth. This gives the last succesful change of the password.

2) Get the u_exp for the account. If it doesn't exist get it from the default record (edauth -d d -g default).

3) Add the 2 no.s together to get the time the password expires.

4) Somehow convert those seconds into a date. I know of one way with the commands:
echo "ctime 1100524315" | kdbx -k vmunix|tail -1

5) Finally compare that date with the current date to determine whether an e-mail shoud be sent.

Thanks,
Vic
There are 10 kinds of people, one that understands binary and one that doesn't.
2 REPLIES
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: E-mail when account is about to expire

Sounds about right. kdbx is a big hammer perhaps.
I would possibly use the perl localtime function to convert time in seconds to a date. And perl will happily do the math, subtract days, send mail, whatever.
Basic example:

perl -e '$day=86400; print scalar localtime(1100524315-5*$day)'

fwiw,
Hein.
Victor Semaska_3
Esteemed Contributor

Re: E-mail when account is about to expire

Hein,

Thanks for the logic review and the suggestion to use Perl to convert the time. I was able to write a script to do what I want and it seems to work.

Vic
There are 10 kinds of people, one that understands binary and one that doesn't.