1752786 Members
6019 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ES40 does not boot multi user

Hatem Samir

ES40 does not boot multi user

DEar sir

please help me to overcome the following problem, on our Alpha Servers ES40 with Tru64 unix ver 4.0F, it does not boor on multi usr mode with the following error and hang

(((Init: command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors. Id cons тАЬ/usr/sbin/getty console console vt100тАЭ))))

I can boot sigle user. but usr is not mouted.

This error appeard after i added two disks on KZPCC raid controller and apply raid 1 on them, then after reboot the system did not boot and give the above error.

This controler has the defualt boot disk (Two disks RAID 1)

Please help as i am 5 days in this problem

Thanks

Hatem
5 REPLIES 5
Lovro VRES
Advisor

try bcheckrc to see, if other file systems can be mounted. Otherwise You should gen an error which will tell you a little bit more.

Regards,
Lovro
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

And what does thios have to do with HP-UX??

Moving to more appropriate forum
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Not much info here.

What does "show device" at the SRM console
(">>>") say about the disks? (What did it
say before you added the two disks?) What
happens if you remove the new disks?

Should we be asking about the SCSI cable and
termination, too?
Martin Moore
HPE Pro

As you already figured out, this error occurs when /usr cannot be mounted. When you're in single-user, you can determine which disk partition contains /usr. If it's UFS, this will be in the fstab entry. If it's AdvFS, the domain name will be in the fstab entry, and you can get the disk information from /etc/fdmns/. Once you know the disk, try reading the label with disklabel -r. This will at least tell you whether there's a physical problem with the disk or not.

Martin
I work for HPE
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HPE products is just a click away HPE Support Center
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Alice Daniel
Frequent Advisor

Hatem,

Search for the string "respawning too rapidly" within the forum. There are several responses that may help you.