108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ES40 will not boot (anymore)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joakim Brosten
Frequent Advisor

ES40 will not boot (anymore)

When booting the system, nothing comes up on the serial console until the system stops because the HALT BUTTON is in. At this point, I can communicate at ">>>" as normal. If I choose to boot, (after disengage the HALT BUTTON), the system comes to "Jumping to bootstrap code" and then nothing... It doesn't matter if booting on disk, CD or floppy. The same resault every time. Can this be a result of updating SRM/bios with wrong version?
9 REPLIES 9
Mulgund
Frequent Advisor

set console serial <--- for booting in serial mode.

set console graphics <--- for normal booting mode.

-Srinivas
Joakim Brosten
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, but the system is without Graphical Display, and the console variable is set to serial....
/JB
Mulgund
Frequent Advisor

try init.
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Hello
When did it happen? Did the problem occured after firmware upgrade? What OS version is installed and what is the firmware version? Some OS version will not work if the firmware is too high. You can downgrade firmware to version you had before and see if it works.
Please post output of ">>>show" if possible.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Joakim Brosten
Frequent Advisor

Hi again,
The system is behaving strange...
When I'm booting, i cannot see the output from the initial testing on the console, (console is set to "serial"). When system is ready, I get the ">>>" and everything is working fine, I can view/set settings normally via the serial console. If I choose to boot, the output disappears again and I will see nothing until I get the login prompt when OS is up.
I have a graphics adapter and if I install it, changing console to "graphics", everything is working the way it should, I get all output to the VGA display.
Attaching the output from "show *", hope that someone can help me.

Thanks in advance! /JB
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

The issue with the HALT BUTTON is unfortunately quite common on this type of server (DS10/DS20/ES40). If you halt the system using this button, then sometimes the button appears to be stuck. Pressing it again won't clear it, but the "init" command (or button) will.

It's a bit unclear to me where you get the console messages displayed. But where ever that is, the "console" variable should match that. So if you're looking for messages through the serial port, it should be set to "serial"; if your looking at the VGA monitor, then it should be set to "graphics". One little caveat here is that the setting won't take affect until after you reset the system. So if you change the "console" variable, always give the "init" command after that.
Alvescot
Advisor

Check the port the terminal connects to is correct. Then

>>> SET CONSOLE SERIAL
>>> INIT
Eric van Dijken
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Are you using the "right" serial console port? If you check the system, it has 2 serial ports on the back side. One of them is a serial port, the other is the "real" console port.

Both will work, as consoles. But only one of them will also show you the console messages generated.

I would try to use the other serial port, and see if that solves your problem.

Watch, Think and Tinker.
Joakim Brosten
Frequent Advisor

Thank you Eric,
I┬┤ve read the documentation, but not careful enought. I just looked for "serial port" and didn't reflect on the other one. Of course is all working the way it should now. Many thanks, let me by you a beer on ENSA if you will attende there. ;-)

/J