Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1748137 Members
3620 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ES80 Tru64 clock

Jim Zimmerman

ES80 Tru64 clock

It looks like our Hardware clock is three days off and causing our system time at boot up to be three day off. Can I correct this by just changing the date at the >>> prompt?

Thank you,

Jim
4 REPLIES 4
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Did you try changing it after booting, using 'date'?
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I am using ntp to correct the date/time at system startup. I am not aware of a tool to query/set the date at console level.

greetings,

Michael
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

I think that the date/time at the SRM prompt >>> cannot be changed.

If you always have this problem, may be a hardware problem.

If you correct the date, and you reboot the server, the date is wrong again?

If you correct the date, and you shutdown the server, then boot again, the date is wrong again?

If you correct the date, and you shutdown the server, power off, power on, then boot again, the date is wrong again?

Also, verify that you are using the correct TIMEZONE.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Aaron Biver_2
Frequent Advisor

Jim,

How are you viewing the time on your hardware clock? There is an MBM concept of time - a central time (dynamic) and a delta time for each partition (static). To compute your partiton's time, the delta time is added to the central time. This is what UNIX reads.

Sometimes, an MBM "show time" is confusing because it looks like it does not match real time. However, the MBM delta time plus the MBM central time should be the real time you get with UNIX's 'date' command.

Setting the time with the UNIX 'date' command will also set the firmware's delta time for your partition. in effect, changing your partition's view of the hardware clock. note that it will not set the MBM central time.

With EV7 class systems, you are advised to run tru64's NTP daemon.