108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EXTEND FILE SYSTEM

Dani Choufani
Valued Contributor

EXTEND FILE SYSTEM

Hi ,

i have an ES45 server with TRU64 on it , and is attached to a storage works,
i need to add 2 disks to an existing unit on the storage in raid 5 , i make the config directly from the console to the storage and add the 2 disks to the unit byb the commands EXPAND and EXTEND , the file syatem still the same size when i use the command DF -V on the tru64 server ,
so what steps should be taken on the file systam to be extended after the add of the 2 new disks
8 REPLIES 8
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: EXTEND FILE SYSTEM

See the previous thread:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=973590
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Remember to take care based on the OS version!
Dani Choufani
Valued Contributor

did i need to run disklabel , if yes what is the exact command to use (i have TRU64 5.1B)
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

From the AdvFS Admin Manual (http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51B_HTML/ARH96DTE/TITLE.HTM)

2.3.4.3 Increasing Storage in Domains by Extending an Existing Volume:
You can increase the amount of storage available in your domain by enlarging the size of an existing volume. For example, LSM and hardware RAID controllers support dynamically increasing the size of a volume. Because expanding the size of an LSM or hardware RAID volume is done independently of AdvFS, you must notify the domain when the size of a volume changes by using the mount command with the -o extend option. You only need to mount one fileset with this option to increase the size of the domain.

If the fileset is not already mounted, enter:

mount -o extenddomain#fileset /mount_point

If the fileset is already mounted, enter:

mount -u -o extenddomain#fileset /mount_point

When the -o extend option is used, all additional storage is available to all filesets in the domain.

Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Yes, you DO need to run disklabel (last time we tested we did).

disklabel -rw dskX

Where X is the device number. The filesystem must be umounted to run disklabel sucessfully.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Dani Choufani
Valued Contributor

ok thank's , i will try that with disk label command but did this command destroy the data on the file system??
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Be carefull if you have other partitions than the 'c' partition in use on that logical unit. Eg: if you have the d and e parition in use, you can only expand the filesystem on the e-partition without initializing the filesystem.

Johan.

_JB_
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

We did not loose data, you only reconfigure "the end of the disk", but take in account what Johan said.