Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entire Hard Disk Clone in Compaq Alphaserver DS 10 with a Tru64 Unix ?

Reality
Occasional Visitor

Entire Hard Disk Clone in Compaq Alphaserver DS 10 with a Tru64 Unix ?

Dear All,

First of all i want to say that I am very beginner to this kind of operating systems. In my work there is a computer Compaq Alphaserver DS 10 with a Tru64 Unix 4.0F. My problem is that In the computer there is 60 GB Hard Disk, I want to copy entire disk to a new hard disk for redundancy. If there is a system failure , i will just want to install the new hard disk (may be the disk might have different capacity).

What is the easiest way to do that? Is there a software or command doing that?

Best regards.

2 REPLIES
Ken Grabowski
Respected Contributor

Re: Entire Hard Disk Clone in Compaq Alphaserver DS 10 with a Tru64 Unix ?

I'm not a Tru64 guy either, but like other UNIXs there are some common features.  You might want to look at the logical storage manager documentation at http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V40F_HTML/AQ3NCETE/TITLE.HTM.  If your trying to create a mirrored bootable image that would be a good place to look. 

Also, most UNIXs have the "dd" command which lets you do a low level Disk to Disk copy.  You should be able to bring up the manual page from the command line by typing "man dd".

John_Manger
Occasional Visitor

Re: Entire Hard Disk Clone in Compaq Alphaserver DS 10 with a Tru64 Unix ?

You could

- install/fit the new disk

- label it with disklabel remembering to make it bootable for your root filesystem type (advfs or UFS)

- make root, usr, var filesystems (and any others) on the new disk

- mount each in turn, and use vdump | vrestore to copy the old partitions to the new partitions

- test boot from the new/spare disk

- repeat occasionally to keep the spare up to date

Do read the man pages for disklabel, mkfdmn, mkfset or newfs, and vdump and vrestore, particularly the example sections.

John M