108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Firewall and ftp

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sampath_Rook
Occasional Advisor

Firewall and ftp

How to check if the firewall is causing ftp timeout.
10 REPLIES 10
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Firewall and ftp

Run telnet to the port 21, for example:

telnet ftpserver 21

If you get answer, at least port 21 is open. If you can connect, but you cant issue commands or they hangs, then the problem is that port 20 is blocked. Use passive mode.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Sampath_Rook
Occasional Advisor

Hi
The architecture is that i am working on a mediation application that gets the files from the switches in the network for billing,now the application would wait for some time for the switch to respond,but now the ftp timeout period expires and the files are not ftp'd from the switch.the protocol used is XFERRBF.
Sampath_Rook
Occasional Advisor

I just want to check if the firewall which is sitting between the switch and the application causes this problem or not.
Sampath_Rook
Occasional Advisor

i checked it, i am able to access the server
Sampath_Rook
Occasional Advisor

I have to go to a firewall to access the ftp server, does the firewall cause a ftp timeout, can anyone help please
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Can you provide a little more detailed information about the problem? For example, have you tried to run ftp and get some files interactivelly? Can you transfer at least one file, when it times out? After a long idle session or when trying to get a file?
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Sampath_Rook
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I can get files, but when the application tried it automatically it fails for come reason,it just doesnt happen on one server , but on different ones.So i think there no problem in getting files manually, but the probelm is when it tries to reach automatically
the traceroute results is

traceroute to 10.196.34.156 (10.196.34.156): 1-30 hops, 38 byte packets
1 10.196.34.156 (10.196.34.156) 2.93 ms * 1.95 ms
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

If your interactive session is working, it doesn't seem very likely that the firewall is the source of your problem.

You might try tracing the packets of a (sucessful) interactive session compared to an (unsuccessful) non-interactive session.
Here are the commands:

# pfconfig +p +c

# tcpdump -i -s 128 -w host 10.196.34.156 &

# tcpdump -i -s 128 -w

# pfconfig -p -c

This will create two files - outfile1 and outfile2 - containing the packets exchanged between your server and the FTP server. You can use 'tcpdump -r ' to generate human readable versions of the packets collected.
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

Ooops - forgot the 'host 10.196.34.156 &' in the second tcpdump command.