Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent AdvFS I/O errors and disk failures in HSZ80

Frequent AdvFS I/O errors and disk failures in HSZ80

OS and Hardware Information :

Tru64 Unix Version 5.1B on an ES40 connected to Multi-bus Failover configuration of HSZ80s.

Patching Information :

Patches installed on the system came from following software kits:
----------------------------------------------- - T64KIT0024267-V51BB25-E-20041122 OSF540
- T64V51BB25AS0004-20040616 OSF540
- T64V51BB26AS0005-20050502 OSF540
-----------------------------------------------

Problem :

I have been experiencing frequent HDD failures on the HSZ80 ( my OS also being in the HSZ80 ).

One interesting pattern observed has been the refurbished 36 GB Drives failing mostly ( 5 out of the 6 HDDs failed within the last 1 month were these ones ).

Recently i am also begining to see AdvFS I/O errors on the /var/adm/messages file as in the attachment.

As suggested in the messages file, i have tried increasing the setting of AdvfsIORetryControl from 0 to 5.

The HSZ80 UNIT seen as dskx to which this domain on which the AdvFS I/O error occurs is a RAID 0+1 Storageset.After having obtained the name of the file on which the AdvFS I/O error occurred by using tag2name, i would like to know if it is possible to find the physical hard-disk on which this file resides.

Also, i would like to kno what is the optimal value of AdvfsIORetryControl ?.

Any suggestions / thoughts to close this chapter once and for all, please pour in.

Thanks in advance.

Srivathsan A

3 REPLIES
Nikki-8)
Occasional Contributor

Re: Frequent AdvFS I/O errors and disk failures in HSZ80

Are the HDD failures on the same slots each time?

Hi Nikki,

Unfortunately not :-(

Thanks
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

from the log you can see that it is
/dev/disk/dsk6a
I haven't worked with the HSZ80.
If it has a console port, connect a terminal and watch for error messages.
How old are the disks?
Are they from roughly the same production batch?

greetings,

Michael