108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Gated and RIP Broadcasts

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric van Dijken
Trusted Contributor

Gated and RIP Broadcasts

Why does my TruCluster, running gated send out RIPV1 requests, even if the configuration says it shouldn't?

[gated.conf]
# Enable RIP to behave as "routed -q"
# (i.e. quiet mode) -- never send RIP update even >1 interface configured.
rip yes
{
nobroadcast;
} ;

[/gated.conf]

Watch, Think and Tinker.
9 REPLIES 9
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Re: Gated and RIP Broadcasts

Which version of Tru64 and TruCluster?
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Eric van Dijken
Trusted Contributor

Using HP Tru64 Unix 5.1b (PK4,T64KIT0023187-V51BB25-E-20040804) and TruCluster 1.6 (TCRBASE540)
Watch, Think and Tinker.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

nice that you have different os-versions but TruCluster 1.6 doesn't run on 5.1B. So what is the exact szenario?

Is 5.1B a cluster installation or not?
TruCluster 1.6 could be all sorts of V4.x Tru64 versions... so please be more specific we know nothing about your setup or what you have done and the given information is not very technical...
Eric van Dijken
Trusted Contributor

Sorry, my mistake.

The version we are using is:
TruCluster Server V5.1B (Rev. 1029); 06/16/04 03:56

As for what we did, nothing special. Just running a normal setup of 5.1B Unix (PK4) with TruCluster 5.1B, running gated.
Watch, Think and Tinker.
Eric van Dijken
Trusted Contributor

As for the question;

Why does gated send out RIP broadcast requests, even if it is configured not to do so.

Seen the network traces, proof of the network admin cannot be denied. (i tried: yes i run gated, yes it supports RIP, but it configured not to send RIP boardcasts, shows gated config file to network admin. Network admin shows nettrace. Unix admin gets burned :( )
Watch, Think and Tinker.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

In previous versions gated.conf.memberx was used not the gated.conf. Be sure all cluster members got the update or you will see rip updates as well.

Btw. RIP is always used within an Trucluster 5.x system. In V5.1B there were some changes documented within the cluster admin guide.
Eric van Dijken
Trusted Contributor

Thanks,

RIP is indeed enabled (broadcast)in /etc/gated.conf.member1 and /etc/gated.conf.member2.

Atleast i know where it comes from, then again why is it needed?

Is it because, we are using Netrain and Niff needs it?
Watch, Think and Tinker.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor
Solution

please read the cluster documentation explaining how it works.... there is also a section how to get rid of it (specially on 5.1B which supports this feature).
Al Licause
Trusted Contributor

Note that in v5.1b, gated is optional in the cluster. If the RIP messages are causing problems or irritating your network support people, you can choose to disable gated.

In v5.1b much of the work done by gated has been moved to aliasd.

If you do decide to prevent gated from running, check with your network people first to make sure that RIP is not providing a valid service announcement to the local hosts or routers on the network.

Gated is used to announce the presence of the cluster alias(es) to all interfaces on the cluster members.

The correct method for preventing gated from running on a v5.1b cluster is to define the following:

rcmgr set CLUAMGR_ROUTE_ARGS "nogated"

Then reboot each member. Also make sure that GATED="no" or null in the rc.config
files as you don't want gated to start and use the default /etc/gated.conf file, unless you reall know what you're doing.