5337 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP AlphaServer DS15

Raymond Todo
Occasional Advisor

HP AlphaServer DS15

Hi everybody
I have one server AlpherServer DS15 running HP True64 UNIX. The last week the server does not boot from the disk when I powered it. I have removed and replaced all the components of the mother-board and the server boot from the disk. I leave the server running until yesterday the server powered off itself. When I powered on the server I have the error message and nothing esle:
RMC Error: BAD CPU EEPROM
Is there any solutions to resolve this problem?
8 REPLIES 8
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Re: HP AlphaServer DS15

Hi Raymond,
Do you get any "beep" codes ?
Is this the only only output [o/p] to screen?
Is this o/p on the vt of graphics screen ? as you will potentially get more troubleshooting information from the serial connection.

Have you looked at the RMC log ? To do this then there is no need for the DS15 to be turned on as long as you have a/c power plugged in there will be 5v aux power to system.
Connect via com1 vt and type in ^[ ^[ RMC ( ^[ = hold down the "ctrl" key and then the "[" key twice) you should then see the "RMC>" prompt. From here type in "log".
If there are any entries, max 10, then the latest one will be at the top. Check all of them for addition info. You can also check this with the DS15 on even if it does not power up fully.

Also with the system turned on and at the RMC> prompt type in "env" and see if any of the displayed fields are "flashing". If they are then that will be all/some/part of the problem.

If none of this works / helps with diags then turn the DS15 off, REMOVE the power cord from the system and then locate J22 on the MLB. It is a collection of 8 pairs of pins. {note J8 is also the same so make sure you have the correct one} Now put a jumper across pins 15 & 16. This will bypass MLB EEPROM & power up checks.

Restore power, turn on the system & see what you get. Do the RMC stuff above again as well.

If this does not help with progressing diags or you still get nothing from the system then I would suggest that you need a new MLB.

Regards,

Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Raymond Todo
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mark,
Thank you very much for your help. The server is not in my office, i will go on the site today and i will tell you the result.

Thank you very much
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Is it fixed ???
Mark...
Raymond Todo
Occasional Advisor

Hi mark,
Excuse this long time to give you a response, i was in time off.
I changed the jumpers as you recommanded and the server start up but i had the error message in the boot process:
Failed
DIMM0 (J14)
No usable memory detected

Then i test the memory cards and i remarked one is faulty.
Is it possible the MLB and the memory are faulty?

Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
It is possible, but you should do some basic trouble shooting first to narrow this down.
1: Reseat dimm concerned and re-test. If you still have a problem then try this:
At this point if you have two banks of memory I would suggest that you totally remove the "bad" pair and verify that the system works OK first. Put the good DIMMs in bank 0 if they are not in that location already.
If it works OK you have a faulty DIMM & need to isolate which one or you could just get two new ones.
If it still complains about a faulty DIMM then it is probably the MLB [slot or electronics] or muliple faulty DIMMS [or you have configured it incorrectly!]
If all goes well from above then install the "bad" DIMMS in the system in bank 0
If you still get the fault with the same dimm then swap the DIMM with the other one to verify:
a: fault moves with DIMM = replace DIMM
b: fault stays in same location = replace MLB

You should find a user guide under the lid for mem locations/ configuration, or look in the user guide that you should have got with the system.

WARNING: DO NOT remove the DIMMS with ANY a/c power to the box. Even if the box is not turned on you will have 5v aux and if you start pulling the DIMMs then you may "blow things up" anyway. You will not get a bang or flashing lights etc but you can cause damaeg to electronic components.
Remember to take anti-static precautions when removing/installing components

That should sort things out.

Mark...
Raymond Todo
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mark,
I have done the basics troubleshouting and you are right, the error message move with DIMM so the DIMM i suspect is faulty. Now we have changed the DIMM but the customer request to change the MLB also because the server was stored in non-recommanded environment. Now everything is ok.
Thank you very much for your help
Mark...
Honored Contributor

No problem, glad to help.
Good to see you have fixed your problem.

Mark...
wijdan
Occasional Visitor

hi , we have a alpha server DS15, But we cannot get to the system console through the serial port or via the VGA video card that was added.please help us .