4172 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HSZ70 firmware

Srivathsan
Frequent Advisor

HSZ70 firmware

Hello All,

I recently installed Tru64 5.1B on my Alpha Server 4000 with storage on an HSZ70 .

It is giving me the following warnings in the messages file.

Jul 19 10:18:11 TruKaduna vmunix: Old HSZ setup next error=0xb
Jul 19 10:18:41 TruKaduna vmunix: Can't reset old HSZ to get SN info. Please upgrade firmware.

I am not able to invoke "volsetup" it just hangs and keeps on repeating these messages.

Is upgrading the firmware the solution and if so, how to get the latest firmware and the firmware upgrade procedure please..

Thanks
Srivathsan
12 REPLIES 12
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

maybe time to check the system requirements for 5.1B and checking the support option lists prior to blindly update or install a version.....
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Joris Denayer
Respected Contributor

Hi Sri,

The HSZ70 is again supported in v5.1B
As you can see at following pointer
http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/updates/V51B/TITLE.HTM

However, as said in the article mentioned by Michael, you must have correct firmware for your adapters (KZPSA or KZPBA) and for your HSZ-controller

Rgrds

Joris
To err is human, but to really faul things up requires a computer
AKSHAY.DANAK
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Just check up with the release notes of 5.1B.
HSZ70 is retired in this new version of OS. It is not supported.

Regards,
Akshay.
Joris Denayer
Respected Contributor

Hi Akshay,

Indeed, this is mentioned in the Release Notes of v5.1B.
However, there has been a Technical Update with the following info

May 19, 2003:
HSZ70 Storage Array Controller is Supported on Tru64 UNIX Version 5.1B

Section 2.3.1.2 of the Tru64 UNIX Version 5.1B Release Notes incorrectly announced the retirement of the HSZ70 storage array controller in conjunction with the release of Version 5.1B of the Tru64 UNIX operating system.

The HSZ70 is supported with Version 5.1B. The controller driver software is included on the kit, and the Version 5.1B documentation includes troubleshooting information for the HSZ70.

Rgrds
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Ralf,

if you point, as you should, to reading the documentation, this should be kept accurate and not with errors. It would have been a small thing to take the reference out of the release docs at least when placed online!

Michael
Joris Denayer
Respected Contributor

Michael,

I do not agree.

a) The Release Notes were correct on the moment of the release.
b) Technical UPDATES are in fact used to indicate changes and this is clearly mentioned on the documentation home page.

It reads as follow:
Technical Updates
-----------------
Technical Updates contain information about restrictions and problems that have been discovered after Tru64 UNIX products have been shipped.

c) AFAIK, Ralf is not responsible for the documentation. So, you shouldn't address your reply to him personally.

d) Do you have a question about our documentation? Do you have a suggestion for something we need to document? We welcome any comments and suggestions that you have about our documentation.
Send an email to readers_comment@zk3.dec.com
(this comes form the Tru64 documentation homepage)

Joris

Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Joris,

I already assumed, that Ralf is not responsible for the doc and I did not address it as his fault. I have looked on the doc site but where are the changes since print?

greetings,

Michael
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Michael,

there is more to check prior to install a system. Have a look into the supported option list, check hardware requirements and firmware. Each component have installation instructions and recommendations - the release notes are only a quick starter.

A blind installation is not very wise and automatically leads to problems as seen here by the original poster. I don't know why "playing" is the first choice if configuring such a system - seems to be PC sideeffect.

Btw. as I remember there was a Release notes update sent to all customers regarding the support of the controller.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }