1752330 Members
5849 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: High load

Consty
Frequent Advisor

High load

I am facing a problem of very slow response from system Tru64,4 CPU. The load is always high around 100%Cpu. I am suspecting a new Oracle software installed one day before, the problem started after the systeme was rebooted.
I would like to know where the problem comes from, I am not used to Tru64 and I need help.
How can I proceed to tune the system ?
Thanks for help
Consty
38 REPLIES 38
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Consty,

Can you provide a bit more detail please.

What Oracle software has been loaded ?
Exactly what hardware have you got ?

You say the problem started after a reboot. When was the system last restarted prior to this ? Could any other changes have happened in that time that only take effect on reboot ?

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob

P.S. I've asked a moderator to move your question to the Tru64 forums where it will get more attention.
Consty
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your answer.

What Oracle software has been loaded ?
-JRE 1.4.2
-WGET 1.1.10
-Oracle Enterprise Manager Agent 10.2.0.2.0

Exactly what hardware have you got ?
-2 x Alpha ES45
-1 x MSA1000
-Tru64 5.1.B
-TruCluster
-Oracle 9.2.0.5

You say the problem started after a reboot. When was the system last restarted prior to this ? Could any other changes have happened in that time that only take effect on reboot ?

-The software were installed on thurday morning, the system was first rebooted at noon, the users noticed a long response time. On Friday the system was again restarted and from that time the chart shows high load.

Regards
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

>>> the problem started after the systeme was rebooted.

High load in a Cluster environment could be caused by wront CFS owners. Probably, when you rebooted the server, the control of all cluster file systems was taked by the remaining node.

You have to ensure that each node has control over the file systems that access most. You can check and change with the cfsmgr command.

To check who is the owner:
cfsmgr /oradata

To relocate:
cfsmgr -a server= /oradata
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Srikanth Arunachalam
Trusted Contributor

Hi Consty,

Oracle 10g loaded on TRU64 can attribute to performance issue for several reason.

(1) If there is ASSM set, do turn it off. Oracle recommends that there is some proble with ASSM and will have to be switched off.

(2) What does the AWR reports says so? You will find this AWR reports in the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/awrrpt.* Do run them and get the statistics in html.

(3) Check who contributes to maximum performance load using the enterprise manager. Oracle's Enterprise Manager is not performance effective. Do get the graphical performance statis on Enterprise manager and then turn it off.

Do let me have the statistics of AWR and Enterprise manager reports. I will be able to give you more inputs.

Thanks,
Srikanth
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

But the database version is 9.2.0.5 not 10g.

The only part of 10g that has been loaded is the Enterprise Manager Agent.

Personally I would avoid anything Oracle 10g related on Tru64...

Cheers,

Rob
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

First do what Ivan suggested.
Or just reboot another member (while this up).
By the way, how about details such as what processes are top, memory utilization, I/O load etc.
Ivan may be right, but there may also be another issues.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Srikanth Arunachalam
Trusted Contributor

hi,

Sorry I overlooked the enterprise manager version to that of Oracle version. In that case, I would like to have the statspack report please. Its very easy to install the installable is just creation of users and running a script present in $ORACLE_HOMe/rdbms/admin.

Let me know if you want more information on this.

Thanks,
Srikanth
Consty
Frequent Advisor

Thanks again.

Ivan suggestion : the cfsmgr output is OK for all the filesystems.

Vladimir suggestion : the top process is "kernel_idle", the memory looks correct (no swap), anyway I am going to check it again.

What else to do for system check (outputs you need) before looking at Oracle.

Regards
Consty
Consty
Frequent Advisor

Hi Srikanth, all,
You'll find here attached the statspack report.
Thanks
Regards
Consty