Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1748150 Members
3625 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to Upgrade HSZ50 controller Firmware (HSOF)

Vikram Sachdeva
Occasional Contributor

How to Upgrade HSZ50 controller Firmware (HSOF)

Can someone please provide me the details to upgrade HSZ50 Firmware(HSOF) from V5.2Z to V5.7Z.Here are the details

1.Both the controllers are in dual redundant configuration.
2.OS version is Tru64 Unix V4.0G.
3.I have both PCMCIA V5.7Z Firmware card.

Is there any method to save the controller configuration before swapping HSOF PCMCIA card for upgrading the F/W,so that in case of disaster I can revert back to old configuration.

Also let me know the method of installing patches to the newly installed F/W card.
How much downtime will whole activity take?
3 REPLIES 3
Dave Bechtold
Respected Contributor

Hello,

This task is well documented in the HSZ50 5.7 Release Notes for Tru64 UNIX. See link below for a copy of this document.

http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?countrycode=1000&prodid=499&source=AA-R1ZZE-TE.xml&dt=262&docid=6904

It specifically discusses Dual Redundant configurations - Rolling and NoRoll methods for upgrading and saving your configuration details, etc...

The latest firmware is 5.7Z and is expected to be the last release for the HSZ50.

As for patches, I would advise contacting HP Services - Storage Support.

I'm not aware of them being available for download on the WEB.

The downtime is dependent on the method chosen - Rolling versus NoRoll etc...

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dave Bechtold

Vikram Sachdeva
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your valuable input.But I didn't find any information for saving configuration in dual redundant configuration.
Can I use SWCC to save it.

What precaution should I take before starting the upgrade.

Dave Bechtold
Respected Contributor

Hello,

You need to use Shutdown Upgrade procedure when upgrading from 5.2 - 5.7 firmware in a Dual Redundant configuration. This entails dropping access / shutting down the systems accessing that storage which decreases the complexity and increases the success factor. Follow section 9.2.2 Dual-Redundant Controller Shutdown Upgrade of the Release Notes.

As far as backup precautions. I'd suggest having a hard copy of the controller configurations, SHOW THIS FULL, SHOW OTHER FULL, SHOW UNITS FULL, SHOW STORAGESETS FULL, SHOW DEVICE FULL, to allow re-creation of the configuration. This should be done for any Storage configurations you have regardless of backing up or not. I'd also suggest having a sys_check -all from the UNIX side to get a storage map from the OS perspective.

The controller itself has an in-memory copy of the configuration. When you init a container or devices for a container you can use a "save_configuration" argument that will force a copy of that containers configuration to that device in the container. This way when a controller is replaced, it knows how to go out and read in the configuration data to restore its in-memory copy for operation. This is typically used for JBODs and Single Controller configurations. With Dual-Redundant controllers you have the configuration on each controller as a backup. Saving configurations on for containers uses space on the device.

I'd also recommend that you have 4.0g+PK3 and backup your data on that storage before proceeding.

Hope that helps!

Dave Bechtold