5742 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to decrease a file system size in tru64 unix

berenger aguissi
Frequent Advisor

How to decrease a file system size in tru64 unix

Hi,

Here is the problem: I have a tru64 unix system installed with ADVFS. I want to free some space by reducing the size of /usr in the usr_domain.
How should I proceed ?
Thanks for your help.

Regards.
Berenger.
5 REPLIES 5
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Re: How to decrease a file system size in tru64 unix

Hmmm, I don;t think you can do that directly, but why would you want to do that?

What is the real problem you are trying to solve? (like need more swap space?)

If you need room for an additional mountpoint, then why not create an extra fileset in usr_domain and mount that?

I you really want to do this, then I'd boot from an other disk, dump the current contents, delete the domain, re-partition, recreate domain & fileset and restore.

Hmmm... how about temporarely adding a tem volume using addvol, rmvol the original,
addvol new target, rmvol the temp. Nah... way to risky!

Hein.

Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

There is no way to "dynamically" reduce a filesystem.

As said above, you need to backup, destroy, repartition, recreate the filesystem, restore the backup. This may not be an easy task, depending if the disk has other partitions after the usr partition. If so, you may need to destroy these partitions too.

Creating another fileset in the usr_domain may solve the problem.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
berenger aguissi
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Please give me the procedure to create a fileset in the usr_domain.

Is there any way to use this new fileset created in the usr_domain as a swap space ?

Regards.
Berenger.
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

you can create a new fileset using:
# mkfset
Ex: # mkfset usr_domain tempfset

You cannot use the fileset as swap. Swap doesn't belong to any file system. Its raw disk space.

What exactly is your problem?. What is your disk configuration?
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Right, what problem are you trying to solve?
What resources (disks, partitions, memory, brains,...) do you have to solve those problems with?
If you need more swap because the application is out of memory and actually needs to swap then you really want a dedicated disk (partition) to keep the systme performance predictable (predicatbly bad).
If you need swap to be able to 'reserve' space, but yo know you have enough physical memory to never really need to swap then just switch to LAZY, not-eager mode?

Check your current setting/needs with:

# sysconfig -q vm | grep swap
# swapon -s

Hth,

Hein.