108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to erase data on disks

SOLVED
Go to solution
Danesh Qureshi
Regular Advisor

Re: How to erase data on disks

I am happy to say I was able to erase all the disks connected to the two HSG80 controllers and the local disks.

I connected a DEC VT300 dumb terminal to the upper HSG80 controller using a serial cable. The screen displayed a CLI prompt appeared.

At the CLI prompt I typed "run dilx" which presented me with series of prompts. I set autoconfigure to "Yes".
The upper HSG80 controller displayed unit 2 only. Unit 2 was configured for 10 disks.

I entered an execution time of 15 minutes for DILX to go overwrite all 10 disks with zeroes.

When DILX finished I connected the DEC VT300 dumb terminal to the second lower HSG80 controller.At the CLI prompt I typed "run dilx" which again presented me with a series of prompts. I set autoconfigure to "Yes".
The lower HSG80 controller displayed unit 1, 3 and 4. Unit 1 was configured for 4 disks, unit 3 was configured for 20 disks and unit 4 was configured for 2 disks.

I ran "dilx" for 15 minutes. After "dilx" completed erasing the disks with zeroes, I tried mounting all the file systems listed in /etc/fstab file.All file systems failed to mount i.e reported the disklabel does not exist or is corrupted.

For the local disks I booted each ES45 server with a OS Tru64 Unix V5.1B installation CD to get to a shell prompt in single user mode.

Now to overwrite the entire disk dsk1c I ran the following zeero command from the shell prompt.

# /usr/lbin/zeero /dev/rdisk/dsk1c

Erasing each 18Gb with zeroes took about 40 minutes complete.

By the way I found the following link very
useful on how to "run dilx".The link also has an example output of dilx attached.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do;HP-FORUMS-S-WPA-IDX=HrSLjSGBTndh33wf1JrV2v2x9SQxJQvSmYRQ0TJxvF02bMvXDmn3!-498495329!-962328079?threadId=240188

Thank you all for your help