Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1748007 Members
4829 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to move a T64 4.0F boot disk to another SCSI controller?

SOLVED
Go to solution
DTHICKS
Occasional Advisor

How to move a T64 4.0F boot disk to another SCSI controller?

We have an ES40 w/ Tru64 Unix 4.0F Patch kit 8 loaded and booting from an LSI Symbios SCSI controller. The system sees the disk as DKA0. We need to move this disk over to a KZPCC-XE controller and still have it boot. The system sees the KZPCC controller and recognizes the other disks but will not boot from the original boot disk. It will come up in single user mode but it cannot access the usr partition because it is referencing an incorrect drive. Can someone tell me the steps for moving a boot disk or tell me where I can find it in the documentation. Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Hmmm... this looks tlike the 3rd similar question today.

Check out: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1002244

hth,
Hein.
DTHICKS
Occasional Advisor

Tried that didn't work. The original boot disk on the LSI controller showed up as DKA0 (aka rz0). Another identical disk on the KZPCC on Channel 0 ID 0 showed up as rri1. When the boot disk is moved to the KZPCC controller Chan 0 ID 0, what is it's name? rri1 doesn't work. I've tried ri0 also. If I can figure out what the system is calling this drive then I can fix it using the above instructions. Running 'scu show edt' will not show the drives on the KZPCC. This controller is supposed to be supported under V4.0F. Is this a problem with it not showing up? Thanks.
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Do you see drives if booted with genvmunix?
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

The SWXCR's have a SCSI backend but do not present themself as scsi devices to the OS.

According to the release notes you need:

"The following software versions and updates are needed for the KZPCC-CE or KZPCC-AC support: Compaq Tru64 UNIX operating system version V4.0f with the New Hardware Delivery 3 kit (NHD 3) or Compaq Tru64 UNIX operating system version V4.0G The New Hardware Delivery 3 kit (NHD 3) is listed on the World Wide Web as: nhd3.tar.gz Tru64 UNIX V4.0F New Hardware Support The Web page is: http://ftp.service.digital.com/public/Digital_UNIX/v4.0f/"

From that same release note:

For the Tru64 UNIX 4.0F and 4.0G versions the format of the device name for a KZPCC-CE or KZPCC-AC virtual disk is: /dev/riNNN[a-h] for the block special devices and /dev/rriNNN[a-h] for the character special devices where NNN is the device number. The 4.0x stream UNIX kernel assigns device numbers as follows: device numbers 0 through 127 are assigned to the first controller (in the system scan order); 128 through 255 to the second, and so forth. Whenever a new virtual disk is recognized by the UNIX kernel, it is assigned the lowest unused device number in that controller's range.

I woudl also issue a SHOW CONFIG or SHOW DEV (or wathever that is called... it's been too long) at the console prompt with your virtual devices in place.

Good luck,

Hein.

see
http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/products/storage/aa-rkl7e-te.pdf
DTHICKS
Occasional Advisor

Been there done that too... Forgot to mention in original post that the load order was V4.0F, NHD3 then Patch kit 8. Started over and loaded V4.0F and then NHD3. System boots fine from DKA0 (rz0). Moved the drive over to the KZPCC and booted to single user mode to genvmunix. The 'mount -u /' command gives an error '/dev/rz0a on /: Specified device does not match mounted device'.
The command './MAKEDEV /dev/ri0' gives the error 'MAKEDEV: Special file(s) for /dev/rio
MAKEDEV: unknown device in /dev/rio'

Any ideas?
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

This would be too silly, but that last 'o' in /dev/rio as presented here looks like an oooooh, not a zero.

I realize that could easily be a transcription typo, but on the other hand, the "MAKEDEV: unknown device in /dev/rio'" looks much like a cut & paste job.

Hein.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

[You may want to escalate this to support., our good intentions not withstanding]

>> Moved the drive over to the KZPCC and booted to single user mode to genvmunix.

So you use a physical move: jank disk, plug into other bay?!
From the documenation it is not clear to me that this woudl work, but it is also not explicitly prohibited/ The naming 'passthru JBOD' suggests that it coudl work.

That boot to single user genvmunix was for dev dzannn was it? and dka0 was no longer there, having become a pz controlled disk?

>>> The system sees the KZPCC controller and recognizes the other disks

So it is useful to think about using 'dd' to clone the original boot drive, mount it and change fstab to advfs on the target to anticipate the newly booted situation?

You did run this 'smor' tool and could see the moved disk right?

>>> show device
:
>>> run bios pzx0
where x = adapter number.
:
P00> run bios [hose] [bus] [slot]
:
* Virtual disks are identified by the RAID level (0, 1, 5, 0 +1, or 0 + 5);
* Hot spare drives appear as Hotspare
* JBODs appear as JBOD Passthru.

good luck,
Hein.
DTHICKS
Occasional Advisor

You are correct in all of your assumptions. We moved the disk by moving the cable from one controller to another. We had tried the dd command but couldn't get it to work. What is the correct syntax for the dd command to copy a disk? Thanks.
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Hello DTHICKS
Try this way:
Lets say that your curent boot disk rz0 and new boot disk re0.
1. Boot from current boot disk disk
2. Make new device files for new disk if not created:
# cd /dev
# ./MAKEDEV re0*
3. Make disk partitions and boot block (depends what fstype you are using for / ) using disklabel. Do not forget to make partition for swap!
4. Make domains and file sets (if using advfs) or make UFS file systems with newfs (if using UFS
Example: Make root1_domain and file set root
# mkfdmn /dev/re0a root1_domain
5. Now copy all file systems using vdump and vrestore. Example:
# mount -t advfs root1_domain#root /mnt
# vdump -0 -f - / | (cd /mnt; vrestore -x -f -)
6. Copy all file systems from old boot disk, and when finished mount "new root" again. Then edit fstab file and change fields for root, usr, var and swap
For example:
Previous: root_domain#root advfs /
New: root1_domain#root advfs /

Very important!!!:
If using advfs for root file system, DO NOT FORGET to create advfs boot block with disklabel command!!!
You can also use graphics disk configurator, and select advfs boot block.

I use this procedure to make "spare boot disk", and it must work.
I can also make procedure for dd method if you ask.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster