1752646 Members
5811 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Identifying physical disks

Trent Ware
Occasional Contributor

Identifying physical disks

Using the "hwmgr тАУflash light тАУdsf dsk[n] тАУnopause" command we can highlight one of the disks in a mirrored set. But how does one know where it's other disk is located?
Our config:
AlphaServer ES45
Ten mirrored set located in fours shelves
Two Smart Array 5300 controllers

I want to make up an Excel spreadsheet to record disk replacement etc.

Thanks,
7 REPLIES 7
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

It depend on the setup. If using lsm have a look into the volprint output, if you are using a storage controller/array use the command on the storage controller itself - its logical because Tru64 doesn't know anything except the unit number from the storage, but storage controller knows which physical disks are located behind the unit!
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

do you know about the hp insight management agents? With them you can locate each single drive of a sa5300 with a browser.

greetings,

Michael
Trent Ware
Occasional Contributor

Guys,

Thanks your replies and yes I have tried the "insight management agents" but the disk light icon on the web page doesn't turn to a button when you place the mouse cursor over it. A HP Unix support guy has suggeted I try another tool called ACU-XE (Array Configuration Utility XE). I'll download it later and let you know how it went.

Regards,
Trent
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Only the storage controller itself knows which physical disk is represented by the unit seen by the OS! So the storage controller utility is the answer of your question as written in my previous post.

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the user you use must be member of the following groups. If you login as root then add both groups to /etc/group and the button will appear.

IM_admin:*:200:root
IM_oper:*:201:root

greetings,

Michael
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

could you get your problem solved?

greetings,

Michael
Trent Ware
Occasional Contributor

Hi Michael,

By using a combination of the output from the "Compaq Array Configuration Utility" and "HP Insight Management Agents" I was able to identify what disks sat where.

Regards,
Trent