Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inherit group from parent directory

Steven Whatley
Occasional Advisor

Inherit group from parent directory

We have a scratch disk called /wrk on a Tru64 5.1B system formatted as advfs v4 that is group and world writable:

drwsrwxrwx 954 root system 40960 Jun 4 13:26 /wrk

If a user creates a file or directory directly under /wrk, its owner (UID) is the user's uid but the group name (gid) is still system:

-rw------- 1 me system 0 Jun 4 13:27 test.txt

How do I set up the permissions on /wrk so that my group name is used instead of system?

-rw------- 1 me grp1 0 Jun 4 13:27 test.txt

The reason I ask is because our users archive their files onto a storage array. We use the group name to determine how much space each group is using. As it is now, if a user copies his/uer files to the storage array the group name is still system.

I know we can tell the users to do a chgrp on new directories under /wrk but we would have to constantly police the users to make sure the policy is followed. There must be an easier way.

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steven
9 REPLIES
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: Inherit group from parent directory

Hi,

there is one problem. You have only one group, you set /wrk to but probably many groups, the users belong to.
You might try this from time to time.
find /wrk -user "userx" -exec chgrp grp1 "{}" ";"

hth,

Michael
Abdul Rahiman
Esteemed Contributor

Miachae's solution is one way of getting around the problem.
But here is another solution, if /wrk is a filesystem, mount it with "nogrpid" option.

eg:
# mount -o nogrpid /wrk

man mount for more info.
No unix, no fun
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

nogrpid has no effect on non nfs filesystems as I know....

But why not learn some basics and use vfs: sys_v_mode=1 (have a look into the admin guide, section BDS vs. SYSV behavior) or still use ACL's to solve your problem.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Abdul Rahiman
Esteemed Contributor

Ralph,
According to man pages, nogrpid works for UFS and AdvFS.
I just tested it too, it works. :-)

regds,
Abdul.
No unix, no fun
Steven Whatley
Occasional Advisor

Ralf, Yes, /wrk is a file system. The nogrpid option looks like the ticket. We will give it a try.

Thanks,
Steven
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Steven,

Ralf was referring to nfs filesystem.

greetings,

Michael
Yong_7
Frequent Advisor

Hi steven,

if you do not have too MANY groups, how about create file set for each group under wrk_domain, then it's easy to tell how much space is used for each file set.

just a idea. also you can set limit too.

Cheers !

YJ
Abdul Rahiman
Esteemed Contributor

Steven,
Would appreciate if you could assign points to the replies as a way of thanking and indicating how the responses helped you in resolving the problem.

thanks,
Abdul.
No unix, no fun
Steven Whatley
Occasional Advisor

Don't worry, I will assign points. Due to restrictions since thwese are poroduction boxes, I can't apply the fix until Monday. After that, I will assign points.

Thanks,
Steven