Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java 1.4.2 Xmx not working

Highlighted
Mircea Scortar
Occasional Visitor

Java 1.4.2 Xmx not working

Hello, I am running Tomcat 5 on a Tru64 5.1B with Java 1.4.2 installed. Even though I specify -Xmx512 let's say (the machine has 1 GB of RAM), the heap would not increase above default size (100 MB or so I think) and the application crashes with java.lang.OutOfMemoryError or with JVM crash in native code. The only workaround I could use was to specify the -Xms512m parameter. Still, why -Xmx does not work?
4 REPLIES
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Java 1.4.2 Xmx not working

Did you increase the kernel parameters in the proc system to allow a process to grow that large?
Mircea Scortar
Occasional Visitor

I obviously did, otherwise not even the Xms option wouldn't have helped.
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Oops, that was rather stupid of me. I'm investigating.
Mircea Scortar
Occasional Visitor

I also have another problem; when it doesn't crash with java.lang.OutOfMemoryError, the native code in Java crasher with different errors: e.g. pool_alloc: out of memory: /vobs/.../pool.c

I heard in some places that max stack size of any thread (-Xss option) could be increased and solve the problem, but I wasn't that lucky...