108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LPR.LOG

Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Dear Ralf,

this is getting a little annoying!
Didn't it occur to you, that this might be the old stuff from a predecessor?

There is no need for repeating the same stuff again, which I think, he understood already.

Michael
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure if he really understood, it seems be an "ignoring". But fact is that with using the official setup tools such problems and all follow on problems will not occure.

I've spent a lot of time telling people doing a setup "manually" is not supported and in case of a problem customers are on their own.

So if I, as a HP representative help them doing some unsupported stuff he will blame HP if an additional problem occurs from that editing. Hell I've seen this so many times before during my time in Tru64 support. And I've seen many escalations rejected due to unsupported usage/handling.

So Michael, best way is if Bruno throws away the printcap and reconfigures the whole printing system via lprsetup. Why frickling around old stuff if a clean recreate will fix all problems within minutes?
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Ralf,

I do understand your concern. You must know, what you do, if you edit printcap manually. I wonder however, if Bruno has all the information to throw away the printcap and start from scratch and use lprsetup.

Michael
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Michael,

that's on of the other mysterious things. If someone is not familiar with a system why doesn't he spent time to learn the basics or differences instead of "doing something". An Alpha is mostly part of a production environment and not a simple PC system for testing.

A supported setup tool will guide you through the setup (it is also well explained within the documentation). It doesn't replace knowledge but makes it very easy to lower the risk.

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Slayer Slayer
Frequent Advisor

Hey guys ,

I really appreciate all yor help.
I am reading a lot of stuff about tru64 to get to know all the things you guys know.
I am planning to recreate the printcap file. but using the lprsetup to do the configuration stuff.
Hey guys lets not get frusted about it.We are also in a forum to learn and to teach.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards

Bruno