1752800 Members
5498 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Login Banner -Text area too small

David Parsons
Occasional Contributor

Login Banner -Text area too small

I am running True64 Unix v4.0F on a 4100 system. I am implementing a CDE login banner on all our systems that is 21 lines long. I have added the text to the Xresources file inside the "Dtlogin*greeting.labelString" so that it will appear on the login screen itself.
The behavior I am seeing is that it will only place on the screen the middle 7 1/2 lines of text. Is there any way to expand this text area to include all of the text? On the HP-UX v11.0 systems I administer the text area expands to hold the complete banner text.
I am a series of contradictions living peacefully together...
3 REPLIES 3
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

Re: Login Banner -Text area too small

Not knowing how you have done this ie a copy of the full Dtlogin resources string I guess this *could* be down to not using new lines

eg
Dtlogin*greeting.labelString:XGraphics Support\n\===================\n\Alex Glennie\nXGraphics & DCE Support\n
If this doesn't help you may want to look for CDE's Xresources file : on hpux it's in /usr/dt/config//Xresources

lastly check man dtlogin and look out for the Matte Resources section ie the width & height resources. Unfortuantly I don't have access to a tru64 system but I suspect CDE will follow the same rules/setup.

Dave Bechtold
Respected Contributor

Hi David,

Much of this is controlled by the resolution of the screen, the font used (DPI) in the greeter box. I've successfully managed to get get 20 lines of text for Dtlogin*greeting.labelString: after changing the resource for the fontlist - Dtlogin*greeting.fontList: to use a "s*" small font as exampled below.

Dtlogin*greeting.fontList: -dt-interface system-medium-r-normal-s*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*:

Note there are 2 definitions for the fontList resource based on resolution of the screen. the default is to use an xxl (Extra Extra Large) font for this fontList resource.

My display is set for 1280x1024 resolution at 95DPI.

I've not had much luck with the Dtlogin*matte. resources for width and height. I believe it's due to the geometry manager in the toolkit taking control of the resizing of the window related to the relative space it has to display in. Again, allot of this depends on the resolution of the screen.

See if using a smaller font doesn't help.

Dave Bechtold
David Parsons
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Alex and Dave,
I had already manipulated the newlines to maximize my horizontal text space usage and changed the font size to small.The Dtlogin*matte.height information you both provided was exactly what I needed. Adding that to my localized Xresources file and increasing it's value allowed the text to show. HP-UX reacts to the text dynamically, but True64 is static. The default value is 412 for the height for 'highres' displays. I had to increase it to 677 to fit my text fully. BTW, our standard display settings are 1024 * 768.

Again, thanks!
I am a series of contradictions living peacefully together...