Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum number for PID?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tim Bingham_1
Occasional Advisor

Maximum number for PID?

Greetings,

Is there a way to set a maximum limit for a PID on Tru64 5.1B? For example, if I wanted to keep PIDs to fewer than 6 digits, could I set a limit to 99999 somehow? The server is an Oracle data warehouse that rarely runs over a couple hundred individual processes. Third party software requires fewer than 6 digits in the PID. If it is possible, would it cause any problems to do that?

Thank you,
Tim

8 REPLIES
Archunan Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Re: Maximum number for PID?

Tim,

I think you can lookinto the variable PID_MAX defined in /usr/include/limits.h:
#define PID_MAX INT_MAX
and INT_MAX defined in /usr/include/machine/machlimits.h

Thanks
Archunan
God is Artist, we are all just brushes
Tim Bingham_1
Occasional Advisor

Okay, thanks. So I see limits.h sets PID_MAX equal to INT_MAX. If I change PID_MAX to be equal to SHRT_MAX (32767) like it is on my older Tru64 4.x system, will I need to rebuild the kernel, reboot, or some other special action to get it the change to take effect? Thanks again.
jim owens_1
Valued Contributor

Changing limits.h has no effect on the kernel.

The values in limits.h are compiled into the kernel binary .mod files. Rebuilding the kernel is a relink, not a recompile.
Archunan Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Tim,

Yes, you will have to compile and you can try rebooting system.

Thanks
Archunan

God is Artist, we are all just brushes
Tim Bingham_1
Occasional Advisor

Thank you to Archunan and Jim for the help so far. I hate to ask another question that might have an obvious answer but... If a doconfig rebuild of the kernel is a relink and not a recompile, what do I need to do before the doconfig to recompile and incorporate the changes from limits.h into the kernel modules? I have searched through the Tru64 admin manuals and have been able to locate instructions for rebuilding but not for recompiling the kernel. Many thanks!

Tim
jim owens_1
Valued Contributor
Solution

I guess I wasn't clear that unless you work at HP and have access to the Tru64 sources you can not make a kernel with a different limits.h.

But even if you could recompile the kernel, PID_MAX is only information for application builders, not how the kernel limit is set.

A non-cluster tru64 system limits the pid to a max value of 524287. In a cluster, the pids begin at 524288 (member1 pid 0) and jump by 524288 * member_ID. There is no way to configure Tru64 to limit these numbers.

You need a corrected application.
Tim Bingham_1
Occasional Advisor

Ah, okay - great info! It looks like it's in the vendor's hands to change their code. Thanks again for all the help.
Tim Bingham_1
Occasional Advisor

Closing thread...