3617 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Multi-user boot ( Always )

Srivathsan
Frequent Advisor

Multi-user boot ( Always )

Hello,

I have an ES-40 that has some config ( not sure what ) in /etc/profile that leads it to boot always in Multi-user mode.

I have another file /etc/profile.single that if i copy over /etc/profile will i be able to boot in single user mode by specifying boot -fl s at the SRM level.

Otherwise whatever i do , the machine always boots in Multi-user mode.

Can anybody give me any clues on what it is...and how i can make the system boot in single user mode specifying boot -fl s at the SRM level regardless of what the /etc/profile says...

I am posting my profile and profile .single files...

Thanks
Srivathsan
3 REPLIES 3
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Re: Multi-user boot ( Always )

maybe reading the machine handbook? There are some srm variables defining how to boot (single/multiuser/halt).

/etc/profiles is not an official config files for single/multiuserboot options. If reading the manuals you will find /etc/inittab.

Btw. boot -fl s is the command to boot in single user mode, so why do you believe the /etc/profile.single will do that? If you are in doubt, please read the srm manual or system admin guide explaining all mechanism in detail.

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi, Srivatsan

.profile is nothing to do with m/c getting into single or multi user mode.

by default m/c will boot in multi user mode (specified in inittab).

you are getting into single user mode since you are specifying boot -fl S at SRM console, the file /etc/profile.single is nothig to do with it.

to get into single user, at SRM console you have to specify the boot option as

>boot -fl S

never give up
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Ravi,

why repeating all things I have written?
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }