Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Tru64 Unix
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-user boot ( Always )

Srivathsan
Frequent Advisor

Multi-user boot ( Always )

Hello,

I have an ES-40 that has some config ( not sure what ) in /etc/profile that leads it to boot always in Multi-user mode.

I have another file /etc/profile.single that if i copy over /etc/profile will i be able to boot in single user mode by specifying boot -fl s at the SRM level.

Otherwise whatever i do , the machine always boots in Multi-user mode.

Can anybody give me any clues on what it is...and how i can make the system boot in single user mode specifying boot -fl s at the SRM level regardless of what the /etc/profile says...

I am posting my profile and profile .single files...

Thanks
Srivathsan
3 REPLIES
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Re: Multi-user boot ( Always )

maybe reading the machine handbook? There are some srm variables defining how to boot (single/multiuser/halt).

/etc/profiles is not an official config files for single/multiuserboot options. If reading the manuals you will find /etc/inittab.

Btw. boot -fl s is the command to boot in single user mode, so why do you believe the /etc/profile.single will do that? If you are in doubt, please read the srm manual or system admin guide explaining all mechanism in detail.

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi, Srivatsan

.profile is nothing to do with m/c getting into single or multi user mode.

by default m/c will boot in multi user mode (specified in inittab).

you are getting into single user mode since you are specifying boot -fl S at SRM console, the file /etc/profile.single is nothig to do with it.

to get into single user, at SRM console you have to specify the boot option as

>boot -fl S

never give up
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Ravi,

why repeating all things I have written?
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }