Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1753427 Members
4844 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Must backup over net, but in single user mode???

Dennis Kavanagh
Occasional Advisor

Must backup over net, but in single user mode???

Hello,

how do I put the system into a state where I can get the /usr saveset backed-up but over the NET as my prime tape drive is off-line.

i.e. I must rely on remote backups.

I am thinking along these lines..

go into single-user mode and only use entries in the rc.d list of scripts that provide network services...

Any help would be much appreciated as the above sequence seems a kludge....

Thank You
3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

We use MULTIUSER level to backup the operating system (under low load). We also restored the system from a scratch using this backup, but a tape device must be connected directly to do that.

Consider a cluster, you cannot bring the entire cluster in single user to backup the OS, and files under the operating system filesysetms does not change frecuently.

For other filesystems, you can stop the application (database) and clone the filesystem (if ADVFS utilities license is available).
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Hello
The reason of using single user mode backup is "real cold backup", i.e. no open files.
But you need network.
Let me suggest another solution:
Make another bootable "disk". You need a minimum envirement, so not much disk space is needed. Boot "second OS", mount all file systems read only and backup them over network.
Backup is as valid as single user backup on local tape.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

it makes no sense backing up a filesystem over network without special parallel streaming software (e.g. networker) because the stream is too slow and backup needs longer (streaming mode).

Poor men's solution could be to boot the installation cd, switch to shell. Using ifconfig command on prompt, mounting filesystem and do a combination of rexec/vdump/dd to store the information to remote tape.

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }