108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Naming Service Not Found on my Tru64 UNIX

Luthfi
Occasional Advisor

Naming Service Not Found on my Tru64 UNIX

Hi all,

I need help.
I have Tru64 UNIX on HP AlphaServer DS25. In this server, a distributed java application was installed. It communicate with two clients. The software should be automatically run at start up and connecting server with the two clients. I use client to give a command to server. When I execute one module, came a message noted that naming service not found. Then I execute naming service on server manually through hyper terminal. It work. and the module run. But all status in the module is not active. The status shows connection to devices, status of other module and hard disk space on server.

I'm not sure what happen because I don't know inside the software. But my suspicion is.. the system should run naming service at first and other thing in queue. So when naming service failed, the next process could not run too. I don't know what to do. Please your advice.

Thanks
Luthfi
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] Tru64 UNIX [...]

OS version: unknown

> [...] distributed java application [...]

Java version: unknown

Application: unknown

> [...] came a message noted that naming
> service not found.

Error message: unknown

Meaning of error message: unknown

DNS configuration: unknown

> Then I execute naming service on server
> manually [...]

Operator action: unknown

> But all status in the module is not active.

Problem description: cryptic

> I'm not sure what happen because I don't
> know inside the software.

And you're expecting help from people who
don't even know what the software is (on the
outside)?

> [...] I don't know what to do. [...]

Apparently. You might start by describing
what you're doing. with what you're doing it,
and what happens when you do it.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> I need help.

Our friend Steven missed out one easy comment: "Yes you do!"

Please heed his questions, they are valuable in getting the help you need.

Did 'it' ever work?
Where all steps in the installation followed and succesful? All requirements and settings fullfilled? All pre-requisite tests executed?

"Then I execute naming service on server manually through hyper terminal. It work. and the module run."

Please explain what that means, what you did.

I suspect a bunch of 'ping' commands and traceroute (Unix) or tracert (Windoze client) commands may help clarify.

Making a connection to the server from the client may have 'opened a door' / 'poked a hole' in a firewall. Check out firewall and other network security logs for information.

Good luck,
Hein.
Luthfi
Occasional Advisor

Hi Steven and Hein,

Sorry I didn't explain my problem clearly.
Actually I use my HP server as Ground Station Terminal. So the java software is used for Ground Station operation.

I search on internet that Naming Service is standard service for java distributed application. There are several modules in the java software. but the main module can monitor the status of other modules and will run correctly if other modules is active.

When I run the system, Naming Service do not start automatically and I can't open the main module. If I start Naming Service manually, the main module can be opened but other modules is not active. I guess there is a configuration that start Naming Service and the modules step by step. But it didn't work. So although I start Naming Service manually, other modules still do not active.

I don't know how java application work in Tru64 Unix system. Maybe if I can find the configuration of the software I can fix the problem. I use Tru64 v5.1B and java version 1.3.1. The HP server connect through network to 2 client pc, printer and internet. It also connect to external SCSI CD ROM drive and external SCSI AIT Drive. I have checked that although this problem exist, I can still connect to internet and the 2 clients through network. I use ping command.

This problem came after electricity black out at my office.

Thanks
Luthfi

Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Again, you're missing the point of the previous replies to your post...

We are not psychic.

How do you "...start Naming Service manually..." ??

What does "it didn't work" mean ??

"I don't know how java application work in Tru64 Unix system".

Neither do I, because I've no idea what your application is, other than a "Ground Station Terminal"...

Cheers,

Rob
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

> This problem came after electricity black out at my office.

Are you saying that the application was working on the Tru64 box before the power outage? If so, why you think its a Tru64 problem?
Luthfi
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

How do you "...start Naming Service manually..." ??

>> I use client pc to connect to server through hyper terminal then execute an executable file in application directory

What does "it didn't work" mean ??

>> Startup can not find the configuration result in no modules being activated

Are you saying that the application was working on the Tru64 box before the power outage? If so, why you think its a Tru64 problem?

>> Actually i have tried to fix the problem by reading from maintenance manual. but none of the guide can fix it. Then i think maybe someone in Tru64 forum know how to trace or examine a java application working on Tru64 UNIX.

Thanks. By the way yesterday the vendor of the software has contacted us and tried to access our server through network (telnet) to find the problem.

Luthfi