108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Network drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul Stanard
Regular Advisor

Network drives

Is there a way to see the network drives located on a windows server on my recently configured Alpha server or access that data for that matter
6 REPLIES 6
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Re: Network drives

if using nfs:
showmount -e

in case of smb:
you must install cifs filesystem support (smbmount) but I'm not sure if this is available for Tru64
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Paul,

who is the client and who is the server?

Michael
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor
Solution

netbios/lanman/smb over IP to access shares offered by a Windows server is provided by:

1) Advanced Server for UNIX (aka ASU), a software kit you can install from your Associated Products CD volume #2.

2) samba a freeware product
see http://www.samba.org

Johan.

_JB_
Paul Stanard
Regular Advisor

Maybe i wasnt really clear.

Situation: Large data sets are located on a network drive on the company's Windows 2K Dell server.

Matlab and Stata apps are installed on Tru64 Box on the same local area network.

Problem: pull (access) data from windows network drive, process on Tru 64 box

Samba seems like a viable resource but if there was another way not involving a third-party software that would be even better.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

install the microsoft unix services for windows, this software package is free and available on the microsoft server.

It contains a nfs implementation.

Or use simple ftp or rsync to copy the data
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Paul Stanard
Regular Advisor

Johan I think I am going to try the Advanced Server for Unix since I have that on my associated products cd. I also downloaded a version of samba, and a version of windows services for Unix