Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1748145 Members
3479 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Network "Pausing"

Tyler Hardison

Network "Pausing"

Been googling for a few hours on this one with little results. Recently we swapped our network to a Procurve network. While a majority of the upgrade was a huge success, small problems have occurred.

One such system is our DS20 running 5.1B with a DEC NIC. The users (and myself) have noticed one to three second pauses, but not disconnects. We have a second tu that I'm going to configure later today to isolate the problem. There are some errors on the interface but an extremely low percentage compared to the ammount of data transfered.

I have used lan_config and hwmgr to set and confirm that the interface is 100 Full Duplex. Also have set the same parameters on the switch side ( which is a 2650-PWR btw) I was going to throw this out in the Procurve groups as well but will wait until I confirm that the problem lies outside the DS20.

input (tu0) output input (Total) output
packets errs packets errs colls packets errs packets errs colls
265822730 2 366470756 125 79462625 266953555 2 367601581 125 79462625
32 0 14 0 0 32 0 14 0 0
27 0 14 0 0 27 0 14 0 0
20 0 5 0 0 20 0 5 0 0

Some samples from netstat -I above.

Tyler.
5 REPLIES 5
Victor Semaska
Frequent Advisor

Re: Network "Pausing"

Is the speed/duplex set at the console level?

It would be something like:

>>>set eia0_mode FastFD

Vic
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Tyler,

the Tulip chipset doesn't work well with all switches, as seen by your netstat output there are collisions which are totally unusual if using "full duplex mode".

So set the interface on console mode to "fast" and the switch port to "half duplex". See if problem is gone if so try to setup "full duplex" on both sides (fastfd on console mode). If it doesn't work go back to half duplex....
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Tyler Hardison

Something I forgot to mention about those stats was that originally the NIC was set for 10 half, changing it to 100-full had no effect on the problem.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Tyler,

10mbit is also available with half oder full duplex so be more specific or we compares different things not seeing the solution!

It is important, that you have changed the console variable and verified switch settings and have executed the "init" command prior to boot the system. The switch must be set to the same speed (due to point ot point).

Next step will be to check the network setup. Post the output of:

# ifconfig -a
# netstat -i
# consvar -g ewa0_mode
(depending on pos. of adapter, else ewb0)

Verify logfiles of switch and boot messages of tulip chips (/var/adm/messages). Be sure no "store forward" or DMA messages appears and ports are set to "fast" mode on switch.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Tyler Hardison

After dealing with ITRC we think the actual NIC is damaged. We've got a spare on hand so we'll be switching to the spare tonight.

Thanks everyone for the great advice.