1752284 Members
4547 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OKI Printer setup on Tru64

Vikas_15
Advisor

OKI Printer setup on Tru64

I have configured a print queue for "OKI Microline 8480SU-R" printer. The problem is that I am able to print ENGLISH characters but when any JAPANESE characters are there in the file, it prints that as JUNK characters. Earlier this printer was setup with the two files attached herewith. I dont have such file for Tru64. Can anyone help or suggest an alternate wayout for the same?

Best regards,
Vikas
18 REPLIES 18
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

it look like a print filter....

First it is important how the printer is connected (this will decide if a printfilter will be use or not) and second it is important what kind of file from what application or machine will be printed (this decides if the job must be filtered or not).

So why not giving some details? there is also a good documentation out there called "documentation library" delivered with your OS Cd-Rom containing the description of a printing system called "advanced printing"....
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

please post the /etc/printcap entry for that printer.

thanks,

Michael
Vikas_15
Advisor

I am using following entries in printcap file:

tyo017m0:\
:lf=/usr/spool/lpd/errors/tyo017m0.err:\
:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/tyo017m0:\
:rm=tyo017m0.tyo.pacific.testdomain.com:\
:rp=raw1:\
:if=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Cescp_a4_12cpi.pcf -Opcode=escp:\
:of=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Cescp_a4_12cpi.pcf -Opcode=escp:\
:mx=0:\
:pl=63:\
:pw=95:\
:xf=/usr/lbin/xf:\
:ya="plocale=ja_JP.eucJP":\
:lp=:ct=remote:sh:mx#0:

and locale values are as follows:
/users/mnin_tst locale
LANG=ja_JP.SJIS
LC_COLLATE="ja_JP.SJIS"
LC_CTYPE="ja_JP.SJIS"
LC_MONETARY="ja_JP.SJIS"
LC_NUMERIC="ja_JP.SJIS"
LC_TIME="ja_JP.SJIS"
LC_MESSAGES="ja_JP.SJIS"
LC_ALL=

I am able to get prints in English but as and when any japanese characters are there in the file, these are printed as junk.
Please advice.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

ct=remote, lp=, rm=raw1
=> lpd printing doesn't support filtering, use tcp/telnetfiltering instead
Vikas_15
Advisor

How to enable tcp/telnet filtering?
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

sample entry
ham060061m1:\
:lp=@ham060061/lpt1:\
:of=/usr/lbin/myof:\
:sd=/usr/spool/ham060061m1:\
:sh:

lpt1 is a symbol for the port ranging here from 9100 up and is added to /etc/services

greetings,

Michael

Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

but be sure your filter work with japanese characters, pipe a printfile through the filter and check. If it works correct your printcap entry.

Btw. tcp printing setup can be simple configured by using lprsetup (supported way, editing printcap manually is not supported), please read also the documentation prior posting!
Vikas_15
Advisor

1. I like to pointout here that this printer is a remote printer.

2. How to check whether a filter is working fine for my printer or suitable for my requirements.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

1. remote printing via lpd doesn't support filtering. This is a fact so changing the printing method is required to get a working filtering. Goodbye "remote" welcome "tcp" or "telnet" printing...

2. you don't know how to pipe a document through a filter? Maybe time to spent some time to study the basics of unix. A simple cat with pipe through the filter should do the job, after that operation print the converted document and see what is printed out. If it is ok use lprsetup to configure the printcap if not it is time to play around with other compatible pcl or postscript filters which can be found at /usr/lbin/.

Here is a link to the documentation which is also available on your documentation cd-rom delivered with the OS:

http://nf.apac.edu.au/facilities/sc/compaq_mirror/HTML/SUPPDOCS/JAPANDOC/JAPANCH8.HTM

it seems pcl is not supported with japanese characters, only plain text and postscript printfilters supports this features....